Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Columbus didnt come up?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
ggoodman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Columbus didnt come up?

So I live in Juneau AK I ordered hops from freshhops.com Planted them in Premium loose potting mix and they have been in a green house ever since watered daily.
I ordered one cascade and one Columbus. The cascade has come up well several shutes one is about 6" tall with plenty of leafs and buds. The columbus has nothing not even a single shoot coming out of the soil. they're now at 2 weeks in the soil. how long should I wait? Should I call fresh hops? I kinda feel like i got a dud. the Columbus had no shoots or bumps on it to indicate which way it should be planted. and it didn't look near as nice as the cascade.

The green house is kept warm with overhead lights that follow the daylight cycle and the humidity is high.

We're about a month out from time to move outside so I dont want the Columbus to be that far behind..... do you thing they would send me another rhizome if i asked?

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5928 Times on 4226 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Maybe. Or maybe it's just incredibly early for them to come up. I know yours are in a greenhouse, but my hallertauer are up about 8 inches and my cascades are just barely peaking out of the ground. I think it's not just temperature, but day length also, that stimulates them.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #3
ggoodman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

lights are on from 7am-7pm. days are light from 6am-10pm

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you're freaking out and first year plant takes it's time to get aclimated and grow strong.
My 2nd year hops are between 4' and 6' tall (probably will cut them back a bit). I have 8 different 1st year hops in the ground including Cascade and Zeus (simular to Columbus). My Cascade is about 1" tall, my Zeus has not broke ground. Fuggle, which is suppose to be hard to grow is about 6" tall.

If your Columbus is like my Zeus, it's growing under the ground and getting stronger. I'm not worrying about it.

If you can't sleep at night, dig it up and look at it. I wouldn't, but maybe it will give you peace of mind.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggoodman View Post
So I live in Juneau AK I ordered hops from freshhops.com Planted them in Premium loose potting mix and they have been in a green house ever since watered daily.
I ordered one cascade and one Columbus. The cascade has come up well several shutes one is about 6" tall with plenty of leafs and buds. The columbus has nothing not even a single shoot coming out of the soil. they're now at 2 weeks in the soil. how long should I wait? Should I call fresh hops? I kinda feel like i got a dud. the Columbus had no shoots or bumps on it to indicate which way it should be planted. and it didn't look near as nice as the cascade.

The green house is kept warm with overhead lights that follow the daylight cycle and the humidity is high.

We're about a month out from time to move outside so I dont want the Columbus to be that far behind..... do you thing they would send me another rhizome if i asked?
They can take a few weeks to break ground. No need to worry. They only need to become established their first year. If they are a little behind it won't hurt them in the long run.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

I'm hoping Columbus is just slow, myself. All of my other hops are up, but the 2nd year Columbus isn't.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk