curiosity question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > curiosity question

Old 04-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #1
meck
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Bismarck, ND

This is just a curiosity question. I have NO intentions on trying it.

If Belgian Abby Ale yeast is a mutated strain of wine yeast would it be possible to ferment wine and Belgian style beer in the same house?

I know that typically beer yeast and wine yeast don't like each other and it is a bad idea to ferment them in the same house. Just curious.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7704 Times on 5413 Posts

I ferment beer and wine in the same house all the time- I've never heard that you can't.

I am more careful with other fermented things, though- like my sourdough starter and my cheese cultures. I never make cheese in the same room I'm using for beer, for example, since a lacto infection would ruin my beer.

Right now, I have 21 gallons of wine in carboys and 10 gallons of beer in fermenters. I have a big house, but I'll be darned if I'm hauling full carboys to different levels to seperate my beer and wine!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I've fermented wine and beer in the same house already too, with no problems.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3183 Times on 1883 Posts

If that were the case we'd all be in trouble.

I've got wine, champagne and beer yeast all sitting next to each other in my brew closet. And have had no issues ever with it.

My Fermentation Closet: #1 Grain test Pale Ale 1 (dry toasted) #2 German Apfelwein (hard cider @ 3 months) #3 Grain test Pale Ale 2 (soaked in sugar solution then toasted) # 4 Grain Test Pale Ale 3 (soaked in water then toasted) #5 1-gallon Date Wine #6 Old Ale Brewed on New Years, then oaked for a week and racked to a tertiary to bulk age).

One thing to remember, whether or not what what you have heard is true, is that each fermenter is 1) protected by an airlock, letting air and co2 out, while keeping nasty stuff from getting in, and 2) Beer, and really anything in the initial stages of fermentation, is protected by a layer of co2 filling the fluidless spaces in the fermenter and cushioning your stuff from particulate matter.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
meck
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Bismarck, ND

Thank you for the replies.
Awesome to know!
My wife will love this information, since she wants to try making wine. I guess I can start building her a wine to try then!
I was told I could not brew beer and wine in the same house, by Bimarck's only local winary - a "build your own, made to order" type. The laws in ND work against micro-breweries and winaries. Can't make, bottle, and sell your own product. Has to go through a 3 tiered system. - Folks are trying to get this changed.