Miracle gro is amazing! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Miracle gro is amazing!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 40,051
Liked 5298 Times on 5118 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Yep, I said it.

Organic? That's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. If your hops aren't growing quite like you want them to, or as fast as you want to, use the blue powder Miracle Gro.

That's all I have to say because I believe that stuff sells itself,
Jacob
The blue miracle grow is 24-8-16 IIRC. That is a ton of nitrogen and that is why they go nuts on that stuff, especially if your soil is rather nitrogen poor to start. Also, the potassium is also a key element for hops cone formation and growth and this has a healthy dose of that as well, although it probably doesn't need that much potassium until the cone formation phase of growth in mid-summer.


Here is a nice OSU extension article on nutrient uptake in hops (bookmark it):

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/cat.../fg/fg79-e.pdf

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #12
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 40,051
Liked 5298 Times on 5118 Posts


oh, and to the originator of this thread:

Everything you can do with synthetic fertilizer can be done organically. Just because you're not willing to learn how or that it may take more time and effort to do so does not mean it doesn't work and doesn't work well. The nutrients in natural composts and soil amendments are typically more stable and will feed your plants over a more sustained period of time, in addition to resulting in no chemical runoff. They also promote healthy insect and bacteria colonies that will provide better overall soil conditions and better resistance to harmful insect colonies through natural predation/colonies.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 40,051
Liked 5298 Times on 5118 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
ever try compost tea? nothing wrong with mirical grow if you want to.

a farmer just gave me a gal. water jug half full of some organic concentrate. one shot glass full to 2 gal water. dont know what its called but it rocks. and its organic. it looks like 5 year old bong water..
I wonder if it's plant-based compost tea or the stuff from the worm farms? Both are pretty potent, but they use the worm farm compost tea in tanks as a spray-application fertilizer in organic farming settings.

And I have no idea what the typical N-P-K equivalent of either is!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 40,051
Liked 5298 Times on 5118 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
There's better things for tomatoes...
http://www.popsci.com/environment/ar...loser-we-think

Time for me to go water the garden...
Urea is a long-used fertilizer be it naturally produced or artificially manufactured.

And if you want to apply this as a growth-phase fertilizer to hops, it will work wonders, as urea is 46% nitrogen. Yes, you read that correctly. Apply urea during early growth and potash from the first indication of cone formation through harvest...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
HalfPint
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Houston
Posts: 1,771
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
oh, and to the originator of this thread:

Everything you can do with synthetic fertilizer can be done organically. Just because you're not willing to learn how or that it may take more time and effort to do so does not mean it doesn't work and doesn't work well. The nutrients in natural composts and soil amendments are typically more stable and will feed your plants over a more sustained period of time, in addition to resulting in no chemical runoff. They also promote healthy insect and bacteria colonies that will provide better overall soil conditions and better resistance to harmful insect colonies through natural predation/colonies.
Hey, I'm all for organic, but I have a "black thumb" it seems. Lead me in the right direction oh wise one.

You see, when I first started my vegetable, herb, and hop garden this year, I did quite a bit of reading and this is what I did. I used 1/3 manure, 2/3 potting soil, and a bit of bone meal mixed in. To say the least, that did not do much for any of the things I was growing. What should I use?

Thanks,
J

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #16
brrman
Recipes 
 
Oct 2006
Indianapolis, IN, Indiana
Posts: 1,693
Liked 97 Times on 74 Posts


My hops are 6-7 feet tall already! I am not prepared and my trellis is is rough shape... aggg
__________________
8-Paws Brewing Co.
Tap 1:.Nostromo Full Thruster Simcoe Pale (10g)
Tap 2:.
Primary:.Lodovico's Fresh Squeezed IPA (10g)
Primary:.Mudpuddle Oatmeal Stout (10g)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM   #17
billc68
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Prince Edward Island
Posts: 412
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
ever try compost tea? nothing wrong with mirical grow if you want to.

a farmer just gave me a gal. water jug half full of some organic concentrate. one shot glass full to 2 gal water. dont know what its called but it rocks. and its organic. it looks like 5 year old bong water..
My grandfather used to make a "tea" using a rain barrel and manure, he would water his plants with it. Not sure if it did much.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,548
Liked 1028 Times on 698 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by billc68 View Post
My grandfather used to make a "tea" using a rain barrel and manure, he would water his plants with it. Not sure if it did much.
Yeah, my grandfather had an awesome garden when we were kids. He would pick weeds from the garden and yard and boil them up in a big kettle and use the water to fertilize with. Sure seemed to work!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #19
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Posts: 40,051
Liked 5298 Times on 5118 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
Hey, I'm all for organic, but I have a "black thumb" it seems. Lead me in the right direction oh wise one.

You see, when I first started my vegetable, herb, and hop garden this year, I did quite a bit of reading and this is what I did. I used 1/3 manure, 2/3 potting soil, and a bit of bone meal mixed in. To say the least, that did not do much for any of the things I was growing. What should I use?

Thanks,
J
There are a lot of things that go into it, including what your starting soil condition is. And if you're looking for a quick fix and immediate gratification, you're probably best off sticking with chemical ferts. Amending a poor soil into a fantastic organic and rich/loamy soil can take 5-10 years.

I'm not saying you haven't tried, but you said this:

Quote:
Organic? That's a bunch of mumbo-jumbo.
Mixing a little manure and potting soil and calling organic practices "mumbo-jumbo" is just plain ignorant.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #20
HalfPint
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Houston
Posts: 1,771
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
There are a lot of things that go into it, including what your starting soil condition is. And if you're looking for a quick fix and immediate gratification, you're probably best off sticking with chemical ferts. Amending a poor soil into a fantastic organic and rich/loamy soil can take 5-10 years.

I'm not saying you haven't tried, but you said this:



Mixing a little manure and potting soil and calling organic practices "mumbo-jumbo" is just plain ignorant.
From a gardeners perspective.
I've actually been primarily eating organic/locally grown food for quite a while now. I completely believe in eating natural more nutritious food, but considering I've started one single raised bed in a backyard of a home I will be moving from in the next year or so, organic doesn't necessarily make sense for now. With that said, I'm still into learning more about the process.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Beer Miracle! subtlephilo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-25-2010 12:52 AM
Miracle LED Grow Lights bkov General Chit Chat 12 11-23-2009 03:19 AM
A Christmas Miracle! Slipgate General Beer Discussion 5 12-24-2008 01:37 PM
Miracle Beer? videoman All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 6 03-16-2008 01:31 AM
It's a Festivus Miracle in April!!! brewinfool General Beer Discussion 1 04-13-2007 09:34 PM


Forum Jump