So I adjusted the recipe due to some more research, and all your super helpful input
This is what I'm thinking..please feel free to add your $.2!! I need all the advice I can get.
Sweet Cinnamon Orange Melomel (would it be considered a Melomel, or a Metheglin?)
16.5lbs Orange Blossom Honey
1/2lb OB Honey (give or take for back sweetening if deemed appropriate)
2 grams of Potassium Sorbate (before back sweetening)
12 grams Nutriferm Energy (added to yeast starter)
10 grams DAP
20 grams Energizer Nutriferm Advance
Juice of 6+ oranges
5 cinnamon sticks
Okay, and here's the process.
1. Rehydrate the dry yeast with 12 grams Nutriferm Energy/170ml H2O
2. Add 2gallons of H20 to my primary, followed by a thoroughly stirred heated (115degrees) mixture of 16.5lbs of honey and 2gallons of H20.
3. Mix in 1/3 of nutriferm advance & DAP, and stir some more.
4. Once cooled, pitch the yeast slurry and stir.
5. At active fermentation (around 2-3days?) add another 1/3 of nutriferm advance & DAP.
6. At mid fermentation (4-5 days?) add the rest of the nutrients.
7. Wait until ~1.0 SG Rack into secondary and add the Squeezed Orange Juice, and Cinnamon sticks.
8. After 2-4 months add 2 grams of potassium sorbate, wait a couple days, and back sweeten if desired,
9. Wait another month and bottle away!
Damn! I'm excited..So what do you all think? A few more questions to go along..
Would you do sliced oranges or the juice? Am I adding the fruit at a good time? Is it okay to let the cinnamon sticks sit in the carboy for months without imparting off flavors?
Most importantly of all; does this look like a halfway decent recipe, and how about the process/steps, do they look right? Thanks SO much for all your amazing help. Such a blessing to have stumbled upon this amazing forum!