My first Beersmith Recipe - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > My first Beersmith Recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
jruffatto
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Chicago
Posts: 43


Looking for critiques and suggestions, just giving an ingredient list for American IPA 2.5 gallon boil, 5 gallon yield

Steeping
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

Boil ingredients
6.6 lbs Pale liquid
1 lb Amber liquid

Hops
Cascade 1 oz 60 min
Centennial 1 oz 10 min
Simcoe 1 oz 5 min
Amarillo Gold 1 oz dry hop

Wyeast American ale yeast

Says it'll give me around 5.5% abv, 31.4 IBUs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 
 
May 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,276
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


what's your OG that you're shooting for? 31 IBUs is nowhere near an IPA in my mind. You're making a pale ale with that recipe.
__________________
http://chugsd.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
jruffatto
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Chicago
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
what's your OG that you're shooting for? 31 IBUs is nowhere near an IPA in my mind. You're making a pale ale with that recipe.
What should I do to up the IBUs? The starting OG is...1.056

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
stedtale
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Pig's Eye, MN
Posts: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruffatto View Post
What should I do to up the IBUs? The starting OG is...1.056
Add more hops.
__________________
www.wdesignstudios.com
musician | graphic designer

Future Brews: Something Belgian...dubbel...anyone got a good one?
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kölsch, Creamy Ginger Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
jruffatto
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Chicago
Posts: 43

Upped the hops, I'm at 51 IBUs...otherwise how does it look, extract and grain-wise? I know it's pretty basic

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 
 
May 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,276
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


You're at the very bottom end of the IPA scale, but I'm sure that'll be ok. It'll make beer. Is there a reason you're using Amber LME and not just using all pale and getting your color and flavor from more steeping grain? I feel like this will come out too dark.
__________________
http://chugsd.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
jruffatto
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Chicago
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnevoodoo View Post
You're at the very bottom end of the IPA scale, but I'm sure that'll be ok. It'll make beer. Is there a reason you're using Amber LME and not just using all pale and getting your color and flavor from more steeping grain? I feel like this will come out too dark.
There is no reason...like I said, I'm looking for any kind of suggestions about what to change. Just tooling around with the Beersmith software I just got. I will take your suggestion though

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
BendBrewer
 
BendBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Bend, Oregon
Posts: 3,134
Liked 77 Times on 59 Posts


I think there is an Oscar's IPA recipe in beersmith. Try that one and modify as you want. It was great when I did it.
__________________
CarPort Brewery
JCMAC Farms Garden

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
jruffatto
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Chicago
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
I think there is an Oscar's IPA recipe in beersmith. Try that one and modify as you want. It was great when I did it.
Cool, thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I believe Beersmith or store recipe? nasmeyer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 04-12-2010 12:54 PM
Beersmith Recipe Storage BigB Brewing Software 3 02-09-2010 12:19 PM
Recipe from BeerSmith? rainingbullets Recipes/Ingredients 6 02-07-2010 01:53 AM
Recipe cost in Beersmith slim chillingsworth Brewing Software 1 08-05-2008 11:51 PM
BeerSmith recipe Oberon? gruversm Recipes/Ingredients 1 04-24-2008 09:46 PM


Forum Jump