Hopburst Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Pacman
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Yeast Cake
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks at 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Amazing floral flavor and aroma, nice fine bubbles and noticable sweet malt balance
This IIPA tastes amazing, it is actually very light bodied and deceptively drinkable considering it's abv. THe intense late hop additions give an amazing floral/citrus flavor and aroma, it actually reminds me of Anchor Steam Beer....but just ALOT more aggresive.

15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 79.96 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.67 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.67 %
0.38 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.03 %
0.38 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 2.03 %
1.00 oz Summit [18.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.2 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (30 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (10 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [18.00 %] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

2.00 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 10.66 % - added after 3 days fermentation

Beer Profile

Measured Original Gravity: 1.090 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
%Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.23 %
Bitterness: 93.4 IBU Calories: 412 cal/pint
Est Color: 11.5 SRM

Mash Profile

60 min Step Add 21.79 qt of water at 165.2 F 149.0 F

I intentionally did not dry hop. I wanted crazy hop flavor and something that may cellar well. It is very drinkable and super complex.

This is definitely going to be the next IPA I put on. But I have a few questions, would wyeast 1056 work with this beer instead of pacman, and what volume/temp sparge do you use? Also, is the dextrose simply dumped into the beer, or do you boil it in a little water first to ensure it is steril?
Sorry for the noob questions, this will be my first forte into all grain brewing.

This is definitely going to be the next IPA I put on. But I have a few questions, would wyeast 1056 work with this beer instead of pacman, and what volume/temp sparge do you use? Also, is the dextrose simply dumped into the beer, or do you boil it in a little water first to ensure it is steril?
Sorry for the noob questions, this will be my first forte into all grain brewing.

I use a double batch sparge, each 2.5 gallons at 170 degrees. You could certianly single batch sparge, fly sparge or use whatever sparging message you want. Personally, I think the most important part is the be sure you use the correct volume of water for the mash and make sure you mash temp is correct. You need to be sure you mash low or you won't ferment out properly.

I boiled the dextrose first with just enough water to dissolve it, then I cooled it to 70 degrees and simply dumped it into the fermenter.

Wyeast 1056, WLP001, US-05, Nottingham and Pacman would all be great yeasts to use...I just find pacman to be the best of the lot as far as attenuation and consistincy is concerned. It is some great yeast.

THis beer is fantastic right now, but I think it is really going to hit its stride after a few months in the bottle, right now the malt, hops and alcohol flavors are distinctly seperate...over time they will blend and mellow and really be amazing.

One thing to note about this beer. My brother in law and myself each enjoyed one this past weekend. When the beer was at fridge temp, the beer was good, but as the beer warmed up to 50-60 degrees it became fantastic. The hops become super evident and the beer was just a pleasure to drink at that temp, the flavors were explosive. So if you brew something up like this...maybe serve it at cellar temperature and don't even mess with the fridge. At %10 ABV this ain't no chuggin beer.

I brewed this back in May and it was outstanding!! My friends said it was the best berr that I made so far. I made another batch today. It was sooo good. Do yourself a favor and brew this one!

I did change the hops around quite a bit. I used all Amarillo, Cascade and a touch of Chinook hops. A total of 10.5 ounces.

I brewed this back in May and it was outstanding!! My friends said it was the best berr that I made so far. I made another batch today. It was sooo good. Do yourself a favor and brew this one!

I did change the hops around quite a bit. I used all Amarillo, Cascade and a touch of Chinook hops. A total of 10.5 ounces.

NICE! I think I will sub ammarillo and centennial for the willamete and cascade in my next one!

Do yourself a favor, and stash a few away. They get smoothed out and quite delicious over time.

Back