dandelion wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Do you guys seriously make this stuff? I hired the neighbor kids to pick dandelions today.....I spent at LEAST 3 hours trying to pluck every little piece of anything green off of them.. ended up with a measly quart. Threw the whoe shebang in the trash.

I spend a significant amount of time trying to eradicate them. Never tried to use them in a beverage.

I've tried 1 dandilion wine, it was from a lcl commercial winery & I didn't like it at all. I'd rather save those dandilions for salads & fried dandilion flowers. I guess there's enough people out there who do like the stuff though, the winery has been making it for a few years now. Regards, GF.

Dandelion is one of my best white wines! I have a couple of bottles from 2007 that I want to drink this summer. You don't always have to pick off every little bit of green, but I do because I think it imparts some bitterness that I find unpleasant.

I've heard that dandelion wine tastes "like liquid sunshine". I'll agree- it's fruity and bright and very much like a pinot grigio. It has hints of different fruits, with a citrusy crispness that is very nice. I prefer it just slightly off-dry, at about 1.000. Since it finished about .990, I simply stabilize and sweeten just enough to make it not so dry.

Last Fall,I was given a bottle of dandelion that had been aged for eight years.It was excellent and very much like Yooperbrews description.I bought another 3 gal.carboy yesterday to start a batch of dandelion.Another few hours of trimming flower heads and I will be good to go.I've looked forward to making this since last Fall.

I am attempting to make some dandelion wine right now, and am still in the flower picking stage. I have 1lb of flower tops, and was wondering about how much it takes to make a gallon batch. Any ideas?

I am attempting to make some dandelion wine right now, and am still in the flower picking stage. I have 1lb of flower tops, and was wondering about how much it takes to make a gallon batch. Any ideas?

My recipe gives the exact amount. You want just the petals, so pick the petals off of the heads. You want to pick them only when the sun is shining and they are wide open. You can work on a few, then freeze them in a ziploc bag until you have enough.

Same here: The recipe I have says 1 gallon of petals for a one gallon batch. Glad to hear you can freeze along the way. Thanks for that. I was figuring it would take me several days to gather for a few minutes per day.

Latest posts

Back