Adding Hops when Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilkinga

Reaction score
I made a batch last night and it has started fermenting in the primary. Upon racking to the secondary I plan on dry hopping with about 2 oz of amarillo. I want the beer to have a real strong aroma hops flavor so I was thinking of boiling up another 2 oz of hops for about 5 minutes to add when I go to bottle. Has anyone done this before, or have a better recomendation?

I've got an all Cascade APA that is ready to be bottled, after inputting the recipe into beer smith I realize I only have about 7 IBU's.....oops.

Haven't brewed in about 5 years..

It'll still be tasty, just want to see if I can punch it up a bit. I'm going to boil another 1 oz of cascade for 60 min at bottling, then add the priming sugar for the last 5 min, and let 'er rip!

Lupulin Maximus is oretty good, but after I pour one, I give the bottle a good shake and the hop come falls out. After marinating for a couple weeks, that cone looks pretty gross. Kinda reminds me of preserved butterfly pupae from science class.

I put 5 hop pellets in each bottle of an IPA last year. Result: Entire contents expelled in huge foaming gusher when bottles were opened. Wont try that again.

Curious to how much water you are boiling your hops in?? I use the usual 2 cups for priming but never thought to had hops to the mix..but sounds mighty tasty..I'm trying to come on a way too make my pale ale similar to hop notchs hop level.. Strong all the way around....thanx

I steep a quarter to half ounce of hops in 2 cups of boiling water and bottling sugar (usually use honey) for about an hour in a French press, or the amount of time it takes for me to make sure I've got everything I need clean and in place. Pour that into the bottling bucket, then rack the finished beer on top of the hop tea to get things nice and mixed up and bottle as usual. It really makes for a great burst of intense aromatics, and can make a good IPA into a great one.

Awsome I like idea of using the honey as a natural sugar for bottling instead of the ybs bagged stuff..although I'm not sure if I would go that route when bottling stouts and porters.. But hey you never know a roasted honey porter sounds pretty scrumptious right now especially on a rainy day as this..thanx for the tip cheers!

OK, I just did this with 1 oz of cascade hops, boiled for 30 min in a half gallon of water, priming sugar in for the last 5. AH-mazing. totally saved a 5 gallon batch of cascade english pale ale.

Screen Shot 2012-03-31 at 3.39.31 PM.jpg

I would bring 2 cups to a boil, then add the hops for 20 minutes at most (if your following the same "rules" of making wort then hop aroma and taste additions start at the earliest of 20 minutes) then I would remove the hops from the boil and add the honey as it cools while stirring.

Obviously all these methods work but that is just my 2 cents

Why are you boiling off the aroma part of the hops when you want them for aroma? Boiling isomerizes the hop oils for bitterness. For aroma you just toss them in. I wouldn't want them in the bottle unless you intend to drink all the beer withing 2 to maybe 3 weeks as your hop aroma will change and not for the better.

I was thinking about tea bagging half an ounce of hops in a small paint strainer bag in a few cups of boiled water for about 5 minutes then add that to the bottling bucket half way through filling the bottles. That will allow me to compare between the two. I wonder if this approach could make two styles from one batch?

How does this technique compare to dry hopping for a week?

Do you guys really have that much of an issue with achieving excellent hop aroma that you have to resort to chewing on hop debris in your bottled beer?

from my earlier post, this batch clocked in at 7 IBU's when I put the recipe into hopville. This was my first batch back after 5 yrs, so once I realized I would have an under hopped beer in all 3 categories (bitterness, flavor, aroma) after using only 1 oz of 3.2 cascades in the boil, I wanted to boost it.

I bought 2 more ounces of cascades, 1 for dry hopping and 1 for bottling. I figured 30 min would help with the bitterness as well as flavor, dry hopping took care of the aroma.

I put the hops in a muslin bag, and removed prior to racking, no issues with hop debris in bottles whatsoever.

I can't compare to dry hopping a week just yet. All I know is the flavor is excellent. I did another half batch of this with proper hops in the boil, no dry hop and no hop tea at bottling, but the hop tea batch is hands down better.

I hope the hop aroma doesn't change for the worse. I've never had a beer this drinkable after two weeks in bottles, though, so if it starts to go I will have BBQ with friends and do what we have to do.

I put the hops in a muslin bag, and removed prior to racking, no issues with hop debris in bottles whatsoever.

This is in regard to dryhopping in the secondary... not adding hops directly to the bottle. The latter option is a bad idea IMO and completely unnecessary.

I steep a quarter to half ounce of hops in 2 cups of boiling water and bottling sugar (usually use honey) for about an hour in a French press, or the amount of time it takes for me to make sure I've got everything I need clean and in place. Pour that into the bottling bucket, then rack the finished beer on top of the hop tea to get things nice and mixed up and bottle as usual. It really makes for a great burst of intense aromatics, and can make a good IPA into a great one.

I don't have the ability to put beer in kegs, so I bottle it. I have a problem with dry hops that the aroma is practically lost after two weeks of bottling. Since I carbonate naturally with sugar it means I have to drink really fast if I mean to smell the aroma. This method of yours is interesting to me and I will definitely try it.

Back