A friend of mine made a 10 gallon batch, split it into 2 five gallon batches and used the American Ale 1056 and American Ale 1272 from wyeast.
After fermentation was complete we found some distinct differences with his experiment.
Wyeast American Ale 1056 vs Wyeast American Ale II 1272
Some of the main differences we found are as follows.
- 1272 trub was very tight and didn’t get sucked up by my siphon.
- 1272 was less cloudy and had a bit more brightness to the color.
- 1272 had a cleaner finish and smoother mouthfeel.
- 1272 allowed us to pick out more hoppiness and balanced the sweetness of the malts better.
- 1272 started sooner and seemed to attenuate more.
Has anyone else done this experiment? What were your results? Have you done any other experiments?