Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East USA > North Carolina HomeBrew Forum > World Beer Festival - Raleigh, NC

Old 04-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
BillyBroas
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default World Beer Festival - Raleigh, NC

Anybody going to this year's World Beer Festival in Raleigh on April 24th? I'm considering it as it's only a 5 hour drive and I have friends there, but would like to hear if someone has gone to one of these in the past and what they thought. It actually looks sold out except at one of the pubs. The brewery line up is good, but not amazing.

Any thoughts? Anyone going?

Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I've gone to this (as well as the fall session in Durham) for most of the past 4 years or so. I've always hit the afternoon sessions after numerous warnings that the evening session can be a bit like a drunken frat party. Apparently, only the most responsible people drink in the early afternoon. Plus, it is common for some breweries to completely run out of beer during the afternoon session and have nothing to offer in the evening. So, calmer setting and more varieties available.

Anyway.... The fest was always a reason for out of town friends to come into Raleigh so we could hang out for the day, but I don't have out of town friends coming this time, so I'm not attending this time.

edit: the festival is pretty good. It does get crowded and, depending on the weather, can be quite stuffy in the tents. Food is kind of expensive at the festival.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
DirtyPolock
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am going to the afternoon one because it is a little calmer and the food situation is also a little better. I have also done it ever since I moved here in 2006. I agree that the evening session can get a little crazy. The afternoon one can as well, but it is no where near as bad.

I do see more responsible drinking adults at the afternoon (12-4) session, compared to the frat party that the evening session can become. But I also do see some parents with strollers during the afternoon sessions which kind of confuses me a little bit. If I would have kids I would not bring them to a beer festival. But either way you can really enjoy yourself.

You can go with a goal to sample some beers, or with a goal to get really drunk off of a variety of beers.
Primary #1: Cascade/Willamette APA
Primary #2: Air
Secondary #1: Belgian Dark Strong

Tap #1: Dubbel Red Balls
Tap #2: Honey Brown Ale
Tap #3: BierMuncher's Outer Limits IPA
Tap #4: Penn Dark Clone 1.0

Conditioning in Kegs: Pollinated porter

Bottled/Drinking: AHS Old School IPA; Apfelwein 1/22/10

Not just any keezer build...It's my keezer build | Don't fear the StarSan Foam, a math explanation

Old 04-13-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
idahoDal
Recipes 

There's at least 4 GRABASS folks that will be there for the afternoon session. No kids in the bunch but some of the ladies. Maybe GRABASS and HBT'ers could try to meet at some point? I've not been before so maybe that's just silly talk given how chaotic it might be.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
BillyBroas
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Crap, it's sold out. Any idea where I can still find tickets? I'm keeping an eye on Craigslist but so far nothing yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Boston

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm going to the 12-4 session. Should be LOTS of tix on Craigslist

Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoDal View Post
There's at least 4 GRABASS folks that will be there for the afternoon session. No kids in the bunch but some of the ladies. Maybe GRABASS and HBT'ers could try to meet at some point? I've not been before so maybe that's just silly talk given how chaotic it might be.
I'll be there working both sessions so hopefully I can spot some of you and say howdy! GRABASSers unite!

Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #8
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Does anybody know if they sell tickets at the door?

Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #9
Kirbster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not that I am aware of, they are all sold out. Craigslist might be the only place to find them. It looks like they are being sold close to face value now.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1374 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Yep, oh well....