Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle bombs in my future?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
mmonacel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bottle bombs in my future?

I just bottled my first batch which was a 5.5 gallon IPA recipe. I dry-hopped for 10 days and my FG remained constant at 16 points for a number of days (target was 15). While I was shooting for 5.5 gallons, apparently I only got slightly under 5 gallons in the end. Unfortunately, I didn't know this until after I made my priming solution for 5.5 gallons at 62 degrees (4.26 oz of sugar) and racked to my bottling bucket that had the measurements on the side. 5 gallons at at 62 degrees would have been 3.87 oz - a difference of .39 oz over.

While I fermented and dry-hopped at 62 degrees, I bottled at 70 ambient. My guess is that the temperature of the beer when going into the bottle was probably at about 64/65 (maybe warmer?) given it had time to warm up while I tried to get my process down...

All but three bottles are 22oz bombers. (an apropos name? )

Questions:
  1. Will a .39 oz difference in sugar ensure bottle bombs for me?
  2. I fermented and dry-hopped at 60-62 degrees the entire time, but I plan to condition / carb the bottles at around 70. Is 62 degrees the right temperature to put in to the priming sugar calculation?
  3. If I do have bottle bombs on my way, what's the best strategy from here? Keep for a week or two condition in my basement (62 degrees) and start drinking heavily to finish them up before they start exploding?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

RDWHAHB. NO bottle bombs, just slightly higher carbonation that you planned on.I have overshot the priming needs more than that several times.( getting in a hurry) with no bombs.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
stedtale
Recipes 

I just over-carbed my Kölsch, 5oz sugar for 4.15Gal. I basically put about 20% more than I needed. It's a wee be spritzy (about 3.2 CO2 vol when it should be 2.7 max). But, no bombs. I think most bottles can handle slightly higher CO2 volumes. IICR-There are some Belgians that are speced at 3+ CO2 volumes. My guess, you'll be fine.

However, if you are worried, as I was. I put mine in my big rubbermaid container, lined it with several towels inside (on top and sides of the bottles) and put the bin in a place not visited often by people in the house. And after a week, I checked it once a day to see if any had popped. I don't know if that really would have stopped any bomb, but it helped my mind.

Future Brews: Something Belgian...dubbel...anyone got a good one?
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Kölsch, Creamy Ginger Ale

Old 04-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
mmonacel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Excellent - thanks guys. Any insight on the temperature to use in the priming sugar calculation? I use BeerSmith, but I'm still unclear on what temperature to plug in there - the ferment temperature, or the actual temperature of the beer when bottling. I've searched around, but still can't find a definitive answer (maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?)

Old 04-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One more note on the bottle bombs, before they blow the little indention on top of the bottles will pop up.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Flic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonacel View Post
Excellent - thanks guys. Any insight on the temperature to use in the priming sugar calculation? I use BeerSmith, but I'm still unclear on what temperature to plug in there - the ferment temperature, or the actual temperature of the beer when bottling. I've searched around, but still can't find a definitive answer (maybe I'm using the wrong search terms?)
Use your fermentation temp when calculating the amount of corn sugar to use. I believe there is plenty of debate on this but that is what I always use and it always seems to be about right. I recently bottled a Kolsch and used the DME amount instead of the corn sugar amount in Beersmith (stupid mistake!). It ended up being 30% too much so after 1 week I put all the bottles in my fridge to knock the yeast out. I was pretty sure I ruined the batch but it ended up being one of the best beers I have done! I wouldn't be too worried but if you have an extra fridge, test one in about a week. If it seems carbonated enough, you could store them all in the fridge.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #7
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if youre that worried about bottle bombs open and recap your bottles. caps arent too expensive and itll give you piece of mind.