Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > HOP EXTRACT?Franziskaner?

Old 04-12-2010, 04:07 AM   #1
DrunkPunk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HOP EXTRACT?Franziskaner?

I just had my first Weisbier.... err, my first 3 weisbiers... anyways, that were Franziskaners. I was checking out the label as I was drinking them and noticed that one of the ingredients is hop extract. Wtf is that? Also, the bartender rolled the bottles around to loosen the yeast, and said it was for the flavor. I enjoyed it that way. I haven't tried it without the yeast floating around though, so I don't know how it would taste otherwise. It was a pretty good beer. I was suprised to like something with hop extract, honestly.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Franziskaner is a great tasting Hefe Weizen. I had my first one in 1975.

The Germans do use hop extract, much like a concentrated tea made from hops.

Are you the member from Pemberton?

I graduated from Burlington Cty College ('84) on Pemberton Rd. I used to live in Browns Mills and Mt. Holly.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Clonefarmer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPunk View Post
I just had my first Weisbier.... err, my first 3 weisbiers... anyways, that were Franziskaners. I was checking out the label as I was drinking them and noticed that one of the ingredients is hop extract. Wtf is that? Also, the bartender rolled the bottles around to loosen the yeast, and said it was for the flavor. I enjoyed it that way. I haven't tried it without the yeast floating around though, so I don't know how it would taste otherwise. It was a pretty good beer. I was suprised to like something with hop extract, honestly.
I didn't know they used extract either. I drink them quite often too. Since they have no hop flavor or aroma the extract is most likely used just for bittering.

They are good with or without the yeast. The way I learned to serve them is pour 3/4 of the bottle gently down the side of the glass. Than swirl vigorously to suspend the yeast. Pour the last 1/4 with the yeast suspended straight down the center of the glass.

Weihenstephaner and Erdinger are a couple of other good Hefewiezens you may enjoy.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 133 Posts

Most hop extract is made using liquid CO2 as a solvent, although a few places use steam. The same process can produce hop oils. Both are more stable than pellet or whole hops and are useful for fine tuning a beer.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
DrunkPunk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
Franziskaner is a great tasting Hefe Weizen. I had my first one in 1975.

The Germans do use hop extract, much like a concentrated tea made from hops.

Are you the member from Pemberton?

I graduated from Burlington Cty College ('84) on Pemberton Rd. I used to live in Browns Mills and Mt. Holly.
That's me. I'm probably going to be living in Mount Holly after this deployment though, since I found an apartment that's walking distance from High Street Grill. They seem to have the best beer selection locally. I'm enrolled at BCC myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Most hop extract is made using liquid CO2 as a solvent, although a few places use steam. The same process can produce hop oils. Both are more stable than pellet or whole hops and are useful for fine tuning a beer.
Huh. I had never heard of that before. It doesn't seem to effect the flavor at all, because it was great beer.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
atomicflatulence
Recipes 

Hey there! I'm a homebrewer from Pemberton borough.

I love the high street grill. Was just there yesterday for their winter beerfest