Spike Brewing Giveaway - New v3 Kettle

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Kim Chee/ Kimchi
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #51
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,365
Liked 976 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Default

Ready for a three day weekend! Its 95 so I'm getting a little sun on the beer belly while the kids are playing with water. Anyway, here is the kimchi that had been siting on the kitchen counter since I made it. Wow! Does it go great with a hot day and a cold beer. It is starting to bubble a bit but still tastes pretty fresh.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110701_164222.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	28946  
lschiavo is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #52
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 67,714
Liked 6988 Times on 4956 Posts
Likes Given: 1975

Default

Oh, that looks great! I wish I was there for a sample- make sure you save me a taste!

Did you make it spicy?


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #53
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,365
Liked 976 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Oh, that looks great! I wish I was there for a sample- make sure you save me a taste!

Did you make it spicy?
It's spicy. Not extreme but just about right. Next time I'm adding the extra 1/2 cup of pepper flakes. I have a pound or two reserved for you and Bob.
lschiavo is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #54
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 67,714
Liked 6988 Times on 4956 Posts
Likes Given: 1975

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
It's spicy. Not extreme but just about right. Next time I'm adding the extra 1/2 cup of pepper flakes. I have a pound or two reserved for you and Bob.
You rock!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #55
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,060
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

here's some that i made probably 4 months ago. it's aging quite nicely. i don't eat kimchee a ton, but i love having some around. i based my recipe off the one in Wild Fermentation, which is a great book if you haven't checked it out. i also love doing naturally fermented sauerkraut and my wife and I made some fermented salsa a few times, it's good, but kinda weird with the fizzyness from the co2 that gets released.

__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
android is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #56
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,365
Liked 976 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by android
here's some that i made probably 4 months ago. it's aging quite nicely. i don't eat kimchee a ton, but i love having some around. i based my recipe off the one in Wild Fermentation, which is a great book if you haven't checked it out. i also love doing naturally fermented sauerkraut and my wife and I made some fermented salsa a few times, it's good, but kinda weird with the fizzyness from the co2 that gets released.
That looks great! I just love cabbage. Add some spice and sour and I'm in. Next project is sauerkraut.

I just took the primary bucket out of the fridge. It's too cold to ferment. I was planning to put it in the ferm chamber at about 55. That should be close to in-ground temperature?
lschiavo is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #57
android
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,060
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

when i've done sauerkraut, i just let it sit at room temp and it seems to sour up fine. it takes a few weeks for it to get good n' sour though. i think the koreans like to set their fermentation fridges around 55 though, so i'm sure it would be fine, just might take a little longer.
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller
android is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #58
scotched
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pasadena, California
Posts: 309
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Out of curiosity, do you guys/girls prefer a certain type of beer or food with your kimchii?
__________________
Goonie's tube|soundcloud|
-
Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada
scotched is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #59
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 49,888
Liked 7829 Times on 6432 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotched View Post
Out of curiosity, do you guys/girls prefer a certain type of beer or food with your kimchii?
San Miguel would probably pair well with kimchii.
AZ_IPA is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #60
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,365
Liked 976 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 849

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by android
when i've done sauerkraut, i just let it sit at room temp and it seems to sour up fine. it takes a few weeks for it to get good n' sour though. i think the koreans like to set their fermentation fridges around 55 though, so i'm sure it would be fine, just might take a little longer.
Thanks for the advice. I think I will leave the bucket on the garage floor for a while. It stays 70 and below. I'll watch that for a few days and see what develops. I'm having a hard time keeping my mits out of it...reminds mean of my first batch of beer....


lschiavo is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kimchi Pabst Blue Robot Cooking & Pairing 5 01-24-2008 05:22 PM


Forum Jump