Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Kim Chee/ Kimchi

Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #131
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 939 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Oh, wait a minute there mister! I definitely complimented you, and told you that I LOVED it. It's gone, of course, but I really loved it. I thought it was great, and you gave me a lot. I thought it had the perfect amount of heat and tangy combined, and I was a big fan.

You could sell it- but "lschiavo's kimchee" doesn't sound that great. You'll have to come up with a new name.
You missed the post before...

I know you liked it. There's more if you want some. That batch sat at room temp for a week and was nice and sour. I just ate the whole bowl.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 AM   #132
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
You missed the post before...

I know you liked it. There's more if you want some. That batch sat at room temp for a week and was nice and sour. I just ate the whole bowl.
Um, oh.

And of course, I'd love some more! I just got home a few hours ago, so I actually have to do some stuff around the house like brew. I love it that brewing is considered "housework" at our house!

Anyway, I'll try to get with you ASAP and get some of that awesome kimchee. And tell you what the_bird and paulthenurse are really like in person.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 AM   #133
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Bob just got an email from some guests that came over the brewcrew group left, and I had left the bucket of kimchee on the counter (around 64-66 degrees). So, that would have been at room temperature for about another 5 days or so, after Homer wouldn't try it.

He emailed and asked for the recipe for that "fermented food from the bucket at camp".

I guess that means that he liked it as much as I did! I'm mourning the loss, as it is long gone.

Edit- I wonder if "fermented food from your bucket at camp" is a compliment or not. Normally, anything in a bucket that has been fermented would be beer. Or wine. But "fermented food from your bucket" sounds pretty gross now that I think about it!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #134
lschiavo

Recipes 

Tell them that was the compost bucket

You guys rushed out of here the other day or I would have given you more. There is still plenty.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #135
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Tell them that was the compost bucket

You guys rushed out of here the other day or I would have given you more. There is still plenty.
Oh, I had no idea! I would have brought the empty bucket back and came begging. I'll bring your bucket on Saturday, if I remember.

Speaking of Saturday, I don't s'pose you'll be serving kimchee with the rest of the party goodies?!?!

I did not want to rush, but it was getting near 4PM, which is Bob's "I gotta make dinner now" time. I was perfectly content watching your nearly naked kids playing in the yard. I was tempted to jump on the water sprinkler/trampoline set up, and I think your youngest was game for that.

Oh, by the way, Bob did the literal "lol" at the compost bucket comment. Probably because it was right next to the compost bucket all weekend, come to think of it.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #136
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 4 Posts

Well I haven't posted here in a long while, I think my last batch was over a year ago. I finally got around to being able to make a batch last night along with some korean radish cubed. Came home today and the microbes are fast at work. The radish is below the cabbage in the big vessel and in the mason jar:
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #137
lschiavo

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
Well I haven't posted here in a long while, I think my last batch was over a year ago. I finally got around to being able to make a batch last night along with some korean radish cubed. Came home today and the microbes are fast at work. The radish is below the cabbage in the big vessel and in the mason jar:
That really looks good. I like the color. It LOOKS spicy!
drummstikk Likes This 
Old 09-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #138
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

That looks perfect. How are you going to keep that big jar cool? You could just store it outside, Korean-style, now that temperatures are cooling off.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #139
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
That really looks good. I like the color. It LOOKS spicy!
It looks spicy but it really isn't, the pepper flakes are a bit deceiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummstikk View Post
That looks perfect. How are you going to keep that big jar cool? You could just store it outside, Korean-style, now that temperatures are cooling off.
I just leave it on my counter. My room temp is at 76, but I've never really had any issues with temperatures and the flavor of the veggies.
Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 09-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #140
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
I just leave it on my counter. My room temp is at 76, but I've never really had any issues with temperatures and the flavor of the veggies.
I think temperature control for kimchi is not quite as important as it is for brewing. But isn't your kimchi quickly becoming very sour? I imagine you'd eventually get the same level of acidity as you'd find in sauerkraut.

One thing Koreans are always talking about doing with kimchi that has become very sour is using it to make kimchi jjigae. I haven't made it yet, but here's a recipe: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchi-chigae-kongnamool

Another thing I have made with my kimchi once it becomes too sour to eat by itself (it happens in the fridge too, it just takes longer) is kimchi pancakes! http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchijeon

As for the spiciness, I would say don't worry if you're getting just a mild level of spice. If you're using gochugaru and it looks as red as that picture, it is plenty spicy enough. It has been surprising to me how many Korean dishes are really not made to be extremely spicy. After hearing Koreans cautiously ask me over and over if my white palette can handle spicy foods, I expected Korean cooking to be a capsaicin fest. But the average kimchi is not nearly as hot as the average Mexican salsa, in my limited experience.

My guess, from that picture, is that you're doing it just right!