National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Kim Chee/ Kimchi

Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #111
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 903 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
Well, here goes nothing. I sure would like to know why mine is brown. The fish sauce I used was brown, so I guess that's why?
Looks great to me. What kind of pepper flakes did you use? The color in mine is definitely all from the pepper flakes.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #112
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4290 Times on 2615 Posts
Likes Given: 3690

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
Looks great to me. What kind of pepper flakes did you use? The color in mine is definitely all from the pepper flakes.
Ahhh! Ok, that is the problem. I forgot them when I was at the asian market. I just substituted red chili flakes that I already had (think pizza), and they did not lend any color.

I'm such a dummy.

Thanks for helping me out there. I'm positive that explains the color.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #113
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5626 Times on 4038 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

lschiavo brought a bucket of this over on Friday night. We didn't all sample then, but over the weekend I think many of my houseguests did.

I loved it! I thought it was a great combination of heat/flavor. Some of the others will have to chime in to give their thoughts. I forgot to serve it with the fish fry yesterday and I think that would have been excellent.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-24-2012, 11:06 PM   #114
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Whipped this up with some garden fresh cabbage and a handfull of pepper flakes, 1/2 a handfull of garlic, 1/2 a handfull of sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil. their were two more bottles but you know....

Old 06-25-2012, 12:17 AM   #115
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 211 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clann View Post
Whipped this up with some garden fresh cabbage and a handfull of pepper flakes, 1/2 a handfull of garlic, 1/2 a handfull of sesame seeds and a dash of sesame oil. their were two more bottles but you know....

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who puts gerber formula in my kimchi!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #116
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

It adds body wuthout much flavor

Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #117
Homercidal
Badass Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3018 Times on 2107 Posts
Likes Given: 1835

I had a good taste this weekend at Yoopers and I have to say that while I can eat it, I doubt I'll be making any myself. I thought it was a little warm, but not too warm to eat. I just couldn't get into the flavor. I am averse to most of the sour flavors (but not sauerkraut with sausage, for some reason...)

I'm open to trying other batches though. now that I know what to expect I can pair it with something that might work for me.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #118
lschiavo
Drinks Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 903 Times on 604 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Ahhh! Ok, that is the problem. I forgot them when I was at the asian market. I just substituted red chili flakes that I already had (think pizza), and they did not lend any color.

I'm such a dummy.

Thanks for helping me out there. I'm positive that explains the color.
No problem. If you find you have enough heat, you can get a milder version of the flakes/ powder that will give you the color without adding more fire. I think the Korean peppers have a unique flavor that I like. I'm sure it's not too late to add some if you are so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
lschiavo brought a bucket of this over on Friday night. We didn't all sample then, but over the weekend I think many of my houseguests did.

I loved it! I thought it was a great combination of heat/flavor. Some of the others will have to chime in to give their thoughts. I forgot to serve it with the fish fry yesterday and I think that would have been excellent.
Glad you liked it. Bob seemed to as well. Bummer. It would have gone nicely with the fish I think. None with breakfast? That what I would have done. It goes nicely with eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clann View Post

Looks nice! Did you grow the cabbage? Sesame seeds?...sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I had a good taste this weekend at Yoopers and I have to say that while I can eat it, I doubt I'll be making any myself. I thought it was a little warm, but not too warm to eat. I just couldn't get into the flavor. I am averse to most of the sour flavors (but not sauerkraut with sausage, for some reason...)

I'm open to trying other batches though. now that I know what to expect I can pair it with something that might work for me.
It wasn't really sour yet. The flavors had blended pretty well though. I'm still keeping the main batch at 60. I keep a few cups in a small container on the kitchen counter to ferment. There is a huge change in flavor after a day or two at room temps...that's how I like it best.

I'm just happy you didn't puke

Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #119
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4290 Times on 2615 Posts
Likes Given: 3690

I tasted mine tonight. It was great! I don't think it's getting sour though, which is what I want. It's at 65F now. I think I'll get it to room temp for a few days.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 AM   #120
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

You guys sound like you're on the right track. Have you watched Maangchi's videos? http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/nappa-cabbage-kimchi

That's how I learned. A few trips to a Korean restaurant to compare your kimchi with theirs and you should have it!

Off the cuff, most of the photos on this thread seem a bit too watery. Before you mix the napa with anything, it should be cut into fourths and salted for 4 hours. Then wash off the salt and wring out as much water as you can like you're wringing a towel. Only then do you mix it with the other veggies and pepper paste.

A note about choice of pepper: any dried red pepper would do, but why not just track down gochugaru? If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a Korean market, one bag should cost you $4-5.

Sugar and starch: I don't add any sugar to my kimchi, but I use mochiko, which is 100% amylopectin. Any glutinous rice flour, of course, is alright. Second best would be plain old rice flour, and third best would be white wheat flour.

If the fish sauce available to you at your local asian market tastes nasty, just get some dried anchovies, boil them in some water, and add a bit of salt. You just made fish sauce! Kimchi shouldn't reek. If your wife doesn't allow you to open the kimchi container when she's in the room, you're doing it wrong! Kimchi should be crisp and refreshing, not dank, and not overpowering.

Likewise, if you go to a Korean restaurant, the kimchi you're served as a side dish will have just a twang of sourness to it, probably 1 week old maximum. Older kimchi gets very sour, and is for making stews and pancakes (jjigae and jeon.)

After I paint the salted, washed, and wrung-out napa with my rice flour/gochugaru/fish sauce/veggies paste, I leave the napa quarters at room temp for 24 hours. You can see bubbles at this time point. Then I store in the fridge indefinitely. It's got a nice sour twang at 48-72 hours after preparation. It will not be overpowering even months after you make it, but it will get a bit too sour for most tastes, even at the cool temps of your fridge.

I will post photos of mine the next time I make it. If in doubt, just go to a Korean restaurant to do some research. Kimchi will come as a side dish before your main meal comes, and it will be served no matter what you order!