World Beer Cup 2010 - no gold awarded? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > World Beer Cup 2010 - no gold awarded?

Old 04-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was reading over the list of winners and noticed that two categories had "no gold awarded." They still gave out silver and bronze though. Its categories 15 and 78; http://worldbeercup.org/winners.html.

I couldn't figure out why no gold was awarded for these two. They had plenty of entries in each category. Its inconceivable that none scored high enough to qualify for a gold (I don't know if this is even a qualification, but I do know some comps require a score of at least 40 to be eligible for Best of Show). These are the best beers in the world. I just don't get why a gold wouldn't be awarded. Curiosity is killing me. Can anybody shed some light on the situation for me? Thanks.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Quote:
Gold A world class beer that accurately exemplifies the specified style, displaying the proper balance of taste, aroma and appearance.
Silver An excellent beer that may vary slightly from style parameters while maintaining close adherence to the style and displaying excellent taste, aroma, and appearance.
Bronze A fine example of the style that may vary slightly from style parameters and/or have minor defects in taste, aroma, or appearance.
They have the option of not awarding any.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
lamarguy

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Austin, TX
Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts

Ya, that's standard practice. None of the beers in that category where good enough to win first.

Most of the smaller homebrew competitions will give the first place to a non-existent person just to avoid offending people...

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 04-11-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Boise, ID
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
They have the option of not awarding any.
While that's true, it's not terribly helpful. I noticed this too and found it odd. Anyone have any idea what reasons might be behind the actual decision not to award a gold?

Edit:
Now *this* I didn't know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Most of the smaller homebrew competitions will give the first place to a non-existent person just to avoid offending people...

Old 04-11-2010, 04:53 PM   #5
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts

Most commercial beer competitions do not base awards on points, judges just sit down with the beers and chose 1-2-3 (in the final round at least, like the BOS in a homebrew competition). And those places have written designations, for example, GABF says 1st place has to be a "world class example of the style." If the judges come to the consensus that none of the beers meet this criteria, they will not award it.

I like it. Prevents "cheapening" of the awards.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Plymouth, New Hampshire
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, I can see why they wouldn't want to award a gold if none of the entrants are "world class beers." But on the other hand, they might have several "world class beers" entered into a category and it appears they still give out a silver and a bronze. I'd hate to have my world class beer given this description - "Bronze A fine example of the style that may vary slightly from style parameters and/or have minor defects in taste, aroma, or appearance."

Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 55 Times on 47 Posts

Good point....to hold to that same standard you would expect to see a few categories with 2-3 beers taking 1st.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
SpanishCastleAle

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
"Bronze A fine example of the style that may vary slightly from style parameters and/or have minor defects in taste, aroma, or appearance."
Would they really write that about a high-40 point brew that just happened to be in a category with two other even better brews?

The medals are relative to other brews in the category but scores are absolute, aren't they?
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

I spoke to some of the judges at the CBC and they said, in the case of the Belgian Category, that the beers were too phenolic.

Yvan De Baets and Steven Pawels are Belgian and they weren't happy about the level of phenols!
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 04-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 206 Times on 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olllllo View Post
I spoke to some of the judges at the CBC and they said, in the case of the Belgian Category, that the beers were too phenolic.

Yvan De Baets and Steven Pawels are Belgian and they weren't happy about the level of phenols!
It is good to hear this. I liken the trend with non-BMC beers to an Arms Race. It seems lots of craft brewers are out push the limits. Extreme hops, wheat beers that are yeast bombs, etc. This is fine, but the problem is then there are lots of people who think this is the way it is SUPPOSED to be. I enjoy an over-the-top beer once in a while, but I'd rather, day-in, day-out, drink a beer within the style norms where I can appreciate the nuances from ALL of the components (well balanced)
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition