(NOOB POSTING) My Beer is way to sweet... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > (NOOB POSTING) My Beer is way to sweet...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Quarters
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Kuna, ID
Posts: 23


So I just finished bottling my beer today and thought I would try the 2-3 fl. oz. of beer remaining in the bottom of my bottling buket. I tried it and it was extremely sweet. I'm not to sure what I did wrong? This was my first real five gallon batch aside from the (Mr. Beer days.)

I'm a noob and forgot to take a OG and a FG of my beer so please don't ask...

I fllowed a simple Northwest recipe...
The recipe was:

malts- 7 lbs. of Amber Malt Extract (wet)

Hops- 1 oz. of Mt. Hood (bittering)
1 oz. Cascade (finishing)

Yeast and Adjuncts- Wyeast Northwest ale
1/4 tsp. Irish Moss



I added my bittering hops once the wort was at a boil. Then I let the wort boil for 55 mins. and added my finishing hops and Irish moss. I let the finishing hops boil for 5 mins. then I removed the wort from the stove. I chilled the wort for a good hour brought it to 65-75 degrees and pitched my wyeast.

My Primary fermentation was for 7 days and my secondary was for 14 days at 65-75 degrees for both stages.

I made damn sure that everything and I mean EVERYTHING that came in contact with my beer had been Sanitized with one-step. So I don't think it was lack of cleanliness.

Any suggestions or advice you could give to a noob I would greatly appreciate it!



Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
annasdadhockey
 
annasdadhockey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Kingston, PA
Posts: 1,761
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts


It's sweeter than normal due to 2 factors.

1> you added priming sugar, that's what you are tasting.
2> The beer is not carbonated. It will taste sweeter with no bubbles(open a Coke, pour into a glass and stir until flat, then taste. Alot sweeter than the normal carb'd version, no?
__________________
Anybody can be a rockstar when the rest of the room is wearing helmets and drooling on themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
erock2112
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Did you see signs of fermentation? Not airlock bubbling, but krausen?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
erock2112
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 312
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by annasdadhockey View Post
It's sweeter than normal due to 2 factors.

1> you added priming sugar, that's what you are tasting.
2> The beer is not carbonated. It will taste sweeter with no bubbles(open a Coke, pour into a glass and stir until flat, then taste. Alot sweeter than the normal carb'd version, no?
Good call.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:45 AM   #5
Quarters
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Kuna, ID
Posts: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasdadhockey View Post
It's sweeter than normal due to 2 factors.

1> you added priming sugar, that's what you are tasting.
2> The beer is not carbonated. It will taste sweeter with no bubbles(open a Coke, pour into a glass and stir until flat, then taste. Alot sweeter than the normal carb'd version, no?
So you think in seven days once the beer is fully carbonated the yeast will broke down all the remaining fermentable materials?

And it won't be as sweet then?

Should I be worried at all for my beer then!??!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #6
brewdogskip
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Western MD
Posts: 123
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarters View Post
So you think in seven days once the beer is fully carbonated the yeast will broke down all the remaining fermentable materials?

And it won't be as sweet then?

Should I be worried at all for my beer then!??!
RDWHAHB,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
annasdadhockey
 
annasdadhockey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Kingston, PA
Posts: 1,761
Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts


I think it may take more than 7 days(maybe not). Best to wait 21 days to be sure. You should be fine then. The biggest thing new brewers need to learn is patience. For yourself, try to wait the full 3 weeks, then put a couple in the fridge, let sit 24 hours in the fridge, then enjoy. Believe me you won't regret the wait. Cheers!!!!!
__________________
Anybody can be a rockstar when the rest of the room is wearing helmets and drooling on themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Things are going great too. I think I've only punched her in the face 3 times!
FERMENTING: Heady Topper Clone?
CONDITIONING: 40 gallons KBS clone in a Jim Beam Barrel (since 11/24/12)
DRINKING: Smoked Robust Porter, Orange Coriander Pale Ale #5
THINKING: first foray into lagers?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #8
Quarters
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Kuna, ID
Posts: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by annasdadhockey View Post
I think it may take more than 7 days(maybe not). Best to wait 21 days to be sure. You should be fine then. The biggest thing new brewers need to learn is patience. For yourself, try to wait the full 3 weeks, then put a couple in the fridge, let sit 24 hours in the fridge, then enjoy. Believe me you won't regret the wait. Cheers!!!!!
So conditioning really makes that big of a difference?

Damn a whole 3 weeks tell I can have my beer...

I guess I do need to learn some patience then.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:03 AM   #9
JNye
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Lansing, IL
Posts: 611
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


i think you need to just brew like crazy in the beginning to really get the pipeline going...at least thats what I'm doing...i never wanna have to go through this waiting game again

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
Quarters
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Kuna, ID
Posts: 23

^^^Tell me about it...

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leaking all that sweet, sweet beer dogbar Bottling/Kegging 4 02-07-2010 11:09 PM
Posting Beer smith files? claphamsa Recipes/Ingredients 10 12-13-2008 05:18 PM
Noob to posting pics... Help! Willie3 General Chit Chat 7 12-07-2007 07:22 PM
The sweet, sweet smell of beer Chrus General Beer Discussion 2 04-05-2007 04:26 AM


Forum Jump