Hops Variety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rancher

Reaction score
OK, I planted a rhizome several years back with expectations that I might brew some beer sometime. I have it in the original spot in my garden and on several high fences, so have about 10 plants.

I have long forgotten where I bought it, or even if it was identified as a specific variety.

How do you tell the different varieties apart, specifically how do I tell what I have.

Rancher

You don't without some serious analysis.

You might get lucky with a comparison but species tend to be so close it can be really tough.

OK, I planted a rhizome several years back with expectations that I might brew some beer sometime. I have it in the original spot in my garden and on several high fences, so have about 10 plants.

I have long forgotten where I bought it, or even if it was identified as a specific variety.

How do you tell the different varieties apart, specifically how do I tell what I have.

Rancher

If you have a knowledgeable LHBS and bring them some dried cones they may be able to give you some idea on what varieties they could be or at least some suggestions on what beer to use them in. It's definitely a long shot.

A. There's only 8 cone types and 3-4 leaf patterns. Hops also differ in sidearm length, cone placement and bine color. Identification without a lab is very difficult.

B. You have to ask yourself a question: Am I a hophead?

Yes, probably Cascades
No, see A.

If yes and there are dozens of shoots coming up in an area 2-3 ft across, almost certainly Cascades.

If yes and there are dozens of shoots coming up in an area 2-3 ft across, almost certainly Cascades.
It does have a lot of shoots coming up, but then I did bury some of the bines a couple of years ago to propagate it more.

No smell/taste differences? Not that I have any cones to test right now, but the bines are 12-18" now

Rancher

Bines can be different colors, but other than Canadian Redvine and Sunbeam, that doesn't help. I've never noticed any difference in how the plants smell and only the Cascades had enough shoots for sampling.

Back