Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #21
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Post #202 in this thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pump...6/index11.html

Use the chart...make it happen


__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #22
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcasanova View Post
Post #202 in this thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/pump...6/index11.html

Use the chart...make it happen
For those too lazy to find it on page 21 of that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Here's a chart I got from somewhere that shows gelatination temp ranges for lots of stuff.
Now if we can only find what is up with the asterisks?


aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #23
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lcasanova's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Park Ridge, IL
Posts: 1,043
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

I meant for him to add it to the OP...thanks for bringing it over though!
__________________
Lucky 13 Brewing Company
Est. 2009
Lcasanova is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #24
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,702
Liked 4677 Times on 2798 Posts
Likes Given: 3951

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
For those too lazy to find it on page 21 of that thread:

Now if we can only find what is up with the asterisks?
Graph is from Kaiser's site: http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index...rch_Conversion

From that page:
Figure 1 - Temperature ranges for the gelatinization of various starches [Briggs, 2004]. Starches marked with (*) also benefit from boiling before being used in the mash.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
aggieotis Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #25
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Stink. That's pretty much all the GF grains. Which means all the enzymes will be denatured unless you first pull off some of the wort at 150-160, then add water, boil, cool, re-add the wort you originally pulled off and let sit at 158F for awhile.

So much for there being an 'easy' way.
aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #26
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,702
Liked 4677 Times on 2798 Posts
Likes Given: 3951

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
Stink. That's pretty much all the GF grains. Which means all the enzymes will be denatured unless you first pull off some of the wort at 150-160, then add water, boil, cool, re-add the wort you originally pulled off and let sit at 158F for awhile.

So much for there being an 'easy' way.
Can't you just add enzymes after preping your grains/adjuncts? ( pardon my ignorance, I've never ventured into the GF stuff before). Commercial enzymes are available (alpha and beta amalyse). [in fact, I have some that I've never used]
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #27
BBBF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,201
Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Can't you just add enzymes after preping your grains/adjuncts? ( pardon my ignorance, I've never ventured into the GF stuff before). Commercial enzymes are available (alpha and beta amalyse). [in fact, I have some that I've never used]
I've never seen beta availible. I have some alpha and gamma amylase than I need to start experimenting with, but my goal is still get get the grains to convert on their own.
BBBF is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #28
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Sorry, was sleeping on the job. Chart is in the main post.

Forgive me, why cant you just mash at 158? That seems to be a common point for most of them...

Nevermind, answered my own question.

It does say 'benefits' though. Perhaps you could convert without?

DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #29
aggieotis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 168
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Forgive me, why cant you just mash at 158? That seems to be a common point for most of them...
I think it's that the starches need to be gelatinized before they can properly convert, and the gelatinization point for all the grains with an * is up near boiling (85C or so).

Once gelatinized, then there's no issue with the conversion, but you'll have to do a decoction cooling or something like that, plus, getting the grain to gelatinize seems to take a LOT of water, which means you've got a pretty full pot of grain. Add to that the GF grains love to make the sparge get stuck...definitely not the easiest way to make beer.
aggieotis is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #30
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieotis View Post
I think it's that the starches need to be gelatinized before they can properly convert, and the gelatinization point for all the grains with an * is up near boiling (85C or so).

Once gelatinized, then there's no issue with the conversion, but you'll have to do a decoction cooling or something like that, plus, getting the grain to gelatinize seems to take a LOT of water, which means you've got a pretty full pot of grain. Add to that the GF grains love to make the sparge get stuck...definitely not the easiest way to make beer.
Looks like tapioca is the key!


DKershner is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply



Tags
please make this a sticky
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gluten Free Beer kontreren Introductions 2 08-25-2008 02:55 PM
Gluten-Free Beer Llama Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-21-2008 07:47 AM
Gluten Free beer srm775 Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-09-2008 02:09 AM
Gluten-Free Beer pilkinga General Beer Discussion 4 12-27-2005 05:27 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS