Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List - Page 12 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Gluten Free Beer Ingredient List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #111
blacklab
Registered User
 
blacklab's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Posts: 2,391
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts


Great info, DKershner. I lived in Bend for many years and miss it immensely. I was in town recently and stopped off at Deschutes. The new pub is amazing. They also mentioned they will be bottling their GF beer soon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #112
Leeinwa
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Moses Lake
Posts: 109
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
Great info, DKershner. I lived in Bend for many years and miss it immensely. I was in town recently and stopped off at Deschutes. The new pub is amazing. They also mentioned they will be bottling their GF beer soon.
Blacklab, Deschutes started out their GF beer using my chestnuts chips. a few years back. Great hit. Brewmaster left and went on own. Program drop and when restarted went to other GF subs. Go to Google and bring up Guten Free Chestnut Beer. Reviews and articles on Trails eEnd Chestnuts will cover most of 1st two pages

Leeinwa

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #113
thanantos
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
, MICHIGAN
Posts: 283
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


n00b question regarding Oats...

This list says they add mouthfeel and body, but is seems they are typically used in Stouts and Porters. Would these work well in lighter styles? I prefer IPA's.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #114
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,100
Liked 72 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thanantos
n00b question regarding Oats...

This list says they add mouthfeel and body, but is seems they are typically used in Stouts and Porters. Would these work well in lighter styles? I prefer IPA's.
I use oats all the time in my barley based IPA recipes and pale ales too. Just be careful to ensure no cross contamination. You pretty much have to buy them online to ensure they are gluten free for Celiac purposes because oats are usually processed in wheat facilities on the same equipment (like LD Carlson's flaked oats are) or grown in a field rotated with wheat. A lot of the GF boards will say that is too much gluten. If you are only moderately sensitive you may be able to get away with the bulk bin rolled oats at Whole Foods (or other grocery store) which is what I like to use for pricing purposes. Just make sure to mash them while adding Amylase Enzyme (made by LD Carlson and available at most home brew supply shops).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #115
thanantos
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
, MICHIGAN
Posts: 283
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski09 View Post
I use oats all the time in my barley based IPA recipes and pale ales too. Just be careful to ensure no cross contamination. You pretty much have to buy them online to ensure they are gluten free for Celiac purposes because oats are usually processed in wheat facilities on the same equipment (like LD Carlson's flaked oats are) or grown in a field rotated with wheat. A lot of the GF boards will say that is too much gluten. If you are only moderately sensitive you may be able to get away with the bulk bin rolled oats at Whole Foods (or other grocery store) which is what I like to use for pricing purposes. Just make sure to mash them while adding Amylase Enzyme (made by LD Carlson and available at most home brew supply shops).
Thanks, I think I might give it a try with some Bob's Red Mill oats from the health food store.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 AM   #116
beljica
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Chewelah, Washington
Posts: 57
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Just wanted to drop a thanks, I've been forum stalking this site forever.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #117
John_Ferens
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 6


Thanks for the great info. Question: does anyone know if Amylase enzyme will act as both alpha and beta amylase on wild rice liquid, in place of using malt?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #118
brewski09
Recipes 
 
Sep 2010
columbus, oh
Posts: 1,100
Liked 72 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Ferens
Thanks for the great info. Question: does anyone know if Amylase enzyme will act as both alpha and beta amylase on wild rice liquid, in place of using malt?
I couldn't find an answer either, so I am just assuming its both since it doesn't specify. I figured it would be on the Internet if it only worked as one or the other...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #119
igliashon
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Oakland, CA
Posts: 936
Liked 75 Times on 45 Posts


It depends on the brand of amylase. Crosby and Baker is pure alpha, and won't give you much fermentables. ECKraus "Diatase" [sic] has both, and seems to work well enough on rice. Just don't use it on quinoa, oats, amaranth, or anything with lots of grain dust. The elevated proteins and beta-glucans in these grains, as well as the raw cellulose in the grain dust, will make it difficult to get a clear fermentable wort with just amylase.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #120
celiacsurvivor
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 97
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


I want to point out that GF oats are oats that are not contaminated with gluten from other grains.

Oats have a naturally occuring protein called avenin which is very similar to gluten and can cause a reaction in some people with coeliac disease. So even GF oats may cause problems for some people.

This is something to be aware of if you or someone you know is hyper-sensitive to gluten.

Link to more info
http://www.celiac.com/categories/Cel...n%252dFree%3F/

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gluten-Free Beer Llama Recipes/Ingredients 6 04-21-2008 07:47 AM
Gluten Free beer srm775 Recipes/Ingredients 3 01-09-2008 02:09 AM
Gluten-Free Beer pilkinga General Beer Discussion 4 12-27-2005 05:27 PM


Forum Jump