Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Need Help Choosing a Freezer - maybe the Haier 5.3 cu ft?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
theminor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need Help Choosing a Freezer - maybe the Haier 5.3 cu ft?

Well I've spent hours reading through the "Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs" thread and the newer "Keezer/Freezer/Kegerator Inside Dimension Database" thread and just searching for specific threads in general. I'm trying to find the best freezer to convert into a Keezer, but I still can't decide. After discussing with my wife, she really wants me to keep this thing small - in the 5 cubic foot size. But I want to be able to store as many kegs as possible in it, with the possibility of adding kegs in the future (my initial build will have only 2).

I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and looked at the GA and Holiday. I've plotted the dimensions posted in the database thread as well as into Google Sketchup and virtually arranged cylinders in these cubes to see what will fit what. All of the models I've found can only fit 3 cornyes (with a collar) no matter how I swing it. The only 5.0 cf freezer that can hold 4 seems to be the old Holiday 5.0 model that used to be sold at Lowes (first one listed int he "Sizing your Chest" thread. The new Lowes model can only fit 3 with a collar, sadly.

Then I decided to look on Amazon and found the Haier HNCM053E 5.3 cubic foot model, goes for around $215 shipped. I saw a thread listing very "crude" measurements of the interior dimensions as follows:

Quote:
W (deeper section) ~ 14.5"
W (hump) ~ 9.5"
D ~ 16"
Plugging those measurements into sketchup, it looks like I can almost fit 4 9" cylandars in there with a collar. If one or two of the kegs were ball-locks (my first 2 kegs are pin-lock, sadly) it looks like 4 could be squeezed in there. I wonder how accurate those measurements are, though.

If I could squeeze 4 kegs into this bad-boy, I'll buy it! So I'm wondering if anyone who has this model can shed some light on it for me. From what I read, this model was sold in Kroger Stores for a while and there were some other deals on it from time to time. If anyone has it, please let me know!

Otherwise, any other recommendation on freezers in the 5 cf size range?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theminor View Post
Well I've spent hours reading through the "Sizing your Chest Freezer for Corny Kegs" thread and the newer "Keezer/Freezer/Kegerator Inside Dimension Database" thread and just searching for specific threads in general. I'm trying to find the best freezer to convert into a Keezer, but I still can't decide. After discussing with my wife, she really wants me to keep this thing small - in the 5 cubic foot size. But I want to be able to store as many kegs as possible in it, with the possibility of adding kegs in the future (my initial build will have only 2).

I've been to Lowes and Home Depot and looked at the GA and Holiday. I've plotted the dimensions posted in the database thread as well as into Google Sketchup and virtually arranged cylinders in these cubes to see what will fit what. All of the models I've found can only fit 3 cornyes (with a collar) no matter how I swing it. The only 5.0 cf freezer that can hold 4 seems to be the old Holiday 5.0 model that used to be sold at Lowes (first one listed int he "Sizing your Chest" thread. The new Lowes model can only fit 3 with a collar, sadly.

Then I decided to look on Amazon and found the Haier HNCM053E 5.3 cubic foot model, goes for around $215 shipped. I saw a thread listing very "crude" measurements of the interior dimensions as follows:

Plugging those measurements into sketchup, it looks like I can almost fit 4 9" cylandars in there with a collar. If one or two of the kegs were ball-locks (my first 2 kegs are pin-lock, sadly) it looks like 4 could be squeezed in there. I wonder how accurate those measurements are, though.

If I could squeeze 4 kegs into this bad-boy, I'll buy it! So I'm wondering if anyone who has this model can shed some light on it for me. From what I read, this model was sold in Kroger Stores for a while and there were some other deals on it from time to time. If anyone has it, please let me know!

Otherwise, any other recommendation on freezers in the 5 cf size range?
Hmmm, I had someone do the measurements on a used one for me. I don't remember the details, but I saw I could barely get two in without a collar. Since the hump is usually smaller than the well, I'd be surprised if you could get four in there. All mine are pin-locks, though, so....

4 in a small freezer like that would be a real energy saver and probably keep great temperature regulation due to the mass!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
theminor
Recipes 

Well based on those cited dimensions, 2 pin locks should squeeze in the bottom part. Since the shelf is 9.5" wide, that leaves enough room for one more on the shelf and one sitting half on the shelf and half off (but that last one probably needs to be a ball-lock). That is only if those dimension are pretty exact or very close.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Magic Chef 7.2 FTW!!!1!

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 04-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
theminor
Recipes 

UPDATE: I went by the local Walmart just now and they sell a Black and Decker 5.3 cu ft. freezer for $150, which is quite a price. Unfortounately, they don't have any on display; they just have large boxes on the shelf in the kitchen section. The box has a good picture on it but, of course, no interior dimensions of the freezer. I wrote down the model number as BFE63 but after googling it, I think that should be BFE53.

I'm strongly considering getting one of these and just hoping it will work. $150 is cheaper than anything at Lowes/Home Depot and craigslist has turned up nothing for me in this size range. I could always return it if absolutely necessary and there is a chance that it will fit 4 (which would be ideal)!

Has anyone seen one of these Black and Decker 5.3 cf models?

Old 04-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'd go for one of the 7.2 cubic fts which are around 200. They've been shown to fit up to 6 with a collar. And a 7.2 cf is only like 6-7 inches wider than a 5cf.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
JakeTheHopDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I bought a GE 7.0 CF Model FCM7SUBWW at Home Depot. It is going to work great for 3, but should fit four with the CO2 on the outside.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Here is a picture of the inside with detailed dimensions.

My Keezer Build

HOP DOG BREWING CO.
Spring Hill, FL
"If you can't drink with the Hop Dog..."

"Doppler Effect": The sudden change in pitch of a car horn as a car passes by.
"Dopeler Effect": The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
kmat123
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheHopDog View Post
I bought a GE 7.0 CF Model FCM7SUBWW at Home Depot. It is going to work great for 3, but should fit four with the CO2 on the outside.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Here is a picture of the inside with detailed dimensions.

+1

I converted this into a keezer using a 2x10" pine collar and it will comfortably hold 5 cornys. I picked it up in late 2009 for $168 when it was on sale.

Fermenting: Guv'nor ESB
Kegged: Ominous Black Ale, Molotov IRA, 2011 Below Zero Barleywine, Cream Dream Stout, Amarillo IPA, Apfelwein

Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
Soonerbourne
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTheHopDog View Post
I have the same model freezer. It has performed admirably with a three tap collar setup.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #10
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

the magic chef holds 6 kegs witha collar, btw. didn't mention that earlier.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions