Brew Dog Hardcore IPA .vs. BYO recipe - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Brew Dog Hardcore IPA .vs. BYO recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,109
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts



Another clone, this time Scotland's Brew Dog Hardcore IPA. Recipe was published in BYO from Brew Dog themselves. That said, clearly, the clone is darker; in fact I call shenanigans as there's no way they're getting 100% Maris Otter to come out that light. The "real thing" was very badly under-carbonated as well, across all 3 bottles I had. That made it taste cloyingly sweet compared to my clone.

Yeah, that's right, mine's better. ;-)
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer71.jpg
Views:	4853
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	15789  


derekge Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
jppostKW
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Englewood CO
Posts: 1,807
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post

Another clone, this time Scotland's Brew Dog Hardcore IPA. Recipe was published in BYO from Brew Dog themselves. That said, clearly, the clone is darker; in fact I call shenanigans as there's no way they're getting 100% Maris Otter to come out that light. The "real thing" was very badly under-carbonated as well, across all 3 bottles I had. That made it taste cloyingly sweet compared to my clone.

Yeah, that's right, mine's better. ;-)
Looks tasty J the bottle i bought was under carbed as well the cap didn't seem on very tight either.
whats going on with the writing on the flip top? it looks alien lol
did you see that the brew hut has dry dock bottling caps for sale
__________________
Diesel Fuel Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
It would be the brewing equivalent of painting the Sistine Chapel with Crayola Crayons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
You sir, are a specialist in the art of discovering a welcoming outcome of a particular situation....not a mechanic.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #3
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,109
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jppostKW View Post
Looks tasty J the bottle i bought was under carbed as well the cap didn't seem on very tight either.
whats going on with the writing on the flip top? it looks alien lol
did you see that the brew hut has dry dock bottling caps for sale
Hah! I should've been a doctor.

I use TBH oxygen caps for my crown top bottles. In fact, I'm just about ready to hand off all my swings to a brewing bud. As soon as the kegerator is done, I'll be kegging 3 gallons and crown capping whatever's left.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
jppostKW
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Englewood CO
Posts: 1,807
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Hah! I should've been a doctor.

I use TBH oxygen caps for my crown top bottles. In fact, I'm just about ready to hand off all my swings to a brewing bud. As soon as the kegerator is done, I'll be kegging 3 gallons and crown capping whatever's left.
I think the ones with the dry dock logo are oxi barrier as well. pulling a pint from a kegorator is amazing, are you going to use 3 gallon cornies?

just tapped my first keg in 7 months I missed it
__________________
Diesel Fuel Brewery

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
It would be the brewing equivalent of painting the Sistine Chapel with Crayola Crayons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman View Post
You sir, are a specialist in the art of discovering a welcoming outcome of a particular situation....not a mechanic.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,109
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


3 gal cornies are the plan, but they're so damn expensive. Unless I come across a sale in the next couple months, I'll probably just do partial fills on standard 5 gal ones.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
effectrammstein
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Posts: 20

So what was the recipe?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,109
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by effectrammstein View Post
So what was the recipe?
Brew Dog posted several of their recipes in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO. Might be worth picking up a copy if you're interested in their brews.

Hardcore IPA:
5 gal, OG: 1.084, FG: 1.020
IBU: 150 , SRM: 11

17.5 lbs Maris Otter
20 AAU Simcoe @ 90
20 AAU Warrior @ 90
13 AAU Chinook @ 0
2 oz Amarillo dry hopped
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or US-05

60 min mash @ 149F

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkarp View Post
Brew Dog posted several of their recipes in the Jan/Feb issue of BYO. Might be worth picking up a copy if you're interested in their brews.

Hardcore IPA:
5 gal, OG: 1.084, FG: 1.020
IBU: 150 , SRM: 11

17.5 lbs Maris Otter
20 AAU Simcoe @ 90
20 AAU Warrior @ 90
13 AAU Chinook @ 0
2 oz Amarillo dry hopped
Wyeast 1056 or WLP001 or US-05

60 min mash @ 149F
That sounds so good. I'll have to try that one out. SOON! Gonna need a rather large starter for it too...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,285
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts


Dredging up a slightly old post to comment on the commercial version. It's AWESOME. I haven't been impressed with Brew Dog and their ABV dick waving, but this beer is REALLY GOOD. Mine was well carbonated, clear and slightly coppery in color, had very persistent head/lacing, and it smelled and tasted like my vision of an IIPA. It probably helps that Simcoe/Amarillo are my favorite hops.

As for the recipe, I'd add a few ounces of Crystal 90 to the mash and substitute Amarillo and/or Simcoe for Chinook at flameout .
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
jkarp
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Elizabeth, CO
Posts: 2,109
Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts


I've had a couple since that were better carbonated. Maybe they're getting their process a bit more repeatable (or are drinking less during brewdays). I still think better IPAs can be had from the West coast or here in CO, but I won't turn down a HCIPA.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeah- I'm that hardcore newell456 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 21 03-14-2010 09:12 PM
hardcore fining (?) RobbyBeers Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 03-30-2009 07:08 PM
You Know You're a Hardcore Brewer When ... JustDave General Beer Discussion 6 06-08-2008 01:15 PM


Forum Jump