Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > The Man Cave is pretty much complete! w/pics

Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
ThePig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Nicely done!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very clean! I would love to see how that nook fits in with the rest of the room.

Also, I know I'm overly paranoid about UV light and my carboys, but don't you think you should have the window above your carboys blocked off?

Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
KCBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1496 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Wow, thanks for all the compliments!

Kauai_Kahuna, pulling the keezer forward is actually pretty simple. I mounted rollers from an old fridge on the bottom (not the simplest task to install them, but it worked out well and with a low profile) For now I just slide up the sleeves I made, and roll it forward. There is plenty of slack in the lines, and for the time being I just slide it back down into the keezer as I roll it back. It rolls pretty smoothly, but the real test will be when the other 4 kegs are full. I think it will be fine though, since it does roll smoothly now, but I may have to mount a handle on the front to make it easier. I ordered some polysulfonate quick disconnects to install at the point where the sleeves are, thinking they were complete disconnects, but when they arrived they were only the female ends. They will be installed soon though.

And thanks for the tip about covering the carboys and/or window. Any constructive criticism or tips on improvements would be great. I hadn't worried too much about it, because it's a small basement window, and I keep the blinds turned up all the time to block direct rays. In the pics it looks much brighter than it really is because there are 6 flood lights in this area, but they don't emit UV rays. If you look at the window to the left of the Bud Man sign, you can get a better idea of the amount of light coming from the windows.

drat, I'll add some pics of the rest of the Man Cave soon. The rest of the bar area is basically a full kitchen minus a stove (didn't think I'd need one down here, but now that I homebrew I wish I had installed one ) To the other side of the bar is a 100" screen that drops down with an HD projector and 5.1 HD surround sound. Games on the PS3 are freaking sweet! There is also a full bath.

It was a lot of work, that took me a while to do, and I had to sell my baby (a solar yellow 2000 jeep wrangler, 6" lift, 37" boggers, winch, 1 ton drivetrain, etc...) to do it. It was the only brand new vehicle I have ever owned, and I did the entire build up myself. Sickening to think of the money put into it on top of the $22,500 price tag, and I sold it for $10k with only 33k miles on it at 8 years old. It was a toy that time just didn't allow me to use anymore, and after setting so long that the battery had to be replaced twice, I finally gave in and sold rather than watch it rot away in the driveway.

But now I have new toys!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
KCBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by android View Post
looks good. where did you get those drip mats? not that i love sauza, but i'd like to find one or two for my keezah.
I really couldn't tell you where they can be bought. My wife worked at a restaurant, and came home with them some time ago. I am going to put in a stainless drip tray with a drain though, so when that day comes I'll pm you for your address and they're yours.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #15
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Awesome!!!!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 04-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #16
KCBrewer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Awesome set up!

What are you using for fermentation temp control, or is your basement always 62F?
Man, I must be blind cause I missed this question too. Right now I don't have any temp control. It stays right around 63-65F down here, so I've not yet had to worry about it.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #17
bam
Recipes 

Awesome Man Cave!! I will sit here, look at these pics, and dream about the day when SWMBO will finally let me build a man cave like this!!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #18
whlkng
Recipes 

One hell of a man cave! Want to come install one of these at my place...theres a free beer in it for you!!!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
KCBrewer

Recipes 

I'd be glad to as soon as you move to the KC area , cause the only time you'll find me in Atlanta is during a layover on the way to Florida! Oh, and you'd have to remove the letter "a" from your last sentence.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #20
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

great setup, what else is down there?