Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > "No chill" hybrid

Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
chucke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No-chill can be a time saver, and it's easier.

I use two types of containers for different applications.

The first type is a 6.5 win-pak. With this one I rack near-boiling wort into the win-pak, and close it. When I'm ready to pitch, the win-pak is the primary fermentaion vessel.

The second type is a 5 gallon win-pak. This application is the same as the first, except the wort can last longer in the win-pak and you'll want to rack to another vessel for primary fermentation.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #12
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you really want to do some sort of hybrid no-chill with the benefits of both, you need to chill IN THE FERMENTER.

Siphon boiling wort into a winpak, seal it up, and drop it in some icewater. (better yet, use something metal that conducts heat better...like a conical)

Old 04-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #13
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
If you really want to do some sort of hybrid no-chill with the benefits of both, you need to chill IN THE FERMENTER.

Siphon boiling wort into a winpak, seal it up, and drop it in some icewater. (better yet, use something metal that conducts heat better...like a conical)
see and that is also part of the reason behind doing the method I propose, I don't want to buy anymore eqt.(if I bought a winpak i would simply do the real no chill, which someday i might). I'm also not too keen on the "siphoning of boiling wort" so I would need to drill and valve my kettle, which i don't want to do. I ferment in a 6.5 glass carboy and i like it so far, I don't want to ferment in a winpak...maybe after the newness wears off.
Though I do like the last idea...just buy a conical, better build a cold room too
This method just seems to fit what i have, and I get to pitch the next day, and real wort starter...

Old 04-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #14
JNye
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

okay so i gave this a shot tonite and it was a little extra work. I got lazy and only used the 5 gallons of sani I had made up, it cooled the wort to around 150, i dunno if that curbs hop utilization or not? Okay maybe not lazy, I poured the 5 gallons of sanitizer i made up in a rubbermaid container and it immediately started leaking(prolly 1/2 gallon a minute) so rather then fill it up with more water to leak out(too cool more effectively) I left the wort to cool a bit and salvaged most of the sanitizer and cleaned up. I'll prolly try this again with a non leaking rubbermaid container.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNye View Post
... I would need to drill and valve my kettle, which i don't want to do.
It's not very hard to drill/add a valve to a kettle, and it makes the whole process easier. Once you do it, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Here's how most of my brews go; after flame out I wait about 10 minutes (clean up time) then, using the valve and tubing, I rack the near-boiling wort into a 6.5 gallon win-pak, close it and the brew day is done. If you want to do a real wort starter, retain some of the hot wort in another vessel, such as a mason jar.

When I'm ready to pitch, I open the win-pak, add the yeast, close it back, roll it around a bit to oxygenate, replace the cap with tinfoil.... that's it.