Still have a good bit of work to do, but the rought part is out of the way. Mind you, this project is supposed to be as cheap as possible. We drank a few homebrews and contemplated building a collar, but the wood would have to be solid, and the oak available would have cost about $20, plus getting it to match up, and this thing will be moved around a lot, it just was not a good option.
SO, break out the roto zip and let's cut the lid up. The blade on the roto zip was like a light saber through butter. The first blade, the second it hit bounced a bit and just disentigrated the plastic. Got a smaller blade, and even though there was a little hopping, it was not too bad. Keg fits VERY snug. I am going to go back and clean up the cuts, line with some old fridge strippign to get a better seal.
Now for the CO2. You guys all went with Paintball tanks because they were small, cheap and easy. Well I got my full co2 setup for what is now -$20. I sold the extra pieces and made a profit while still having a full 5lb tank. So this is what I had to work with. I drilled a hole in the back for the line before realizing that the line will just run up to the top of the keg... gotta find a use or plug for that one. Might run the beer line down through it up to the faucet. The mounting for the co2 tank is actually a commercial grade roofing truss brace. My dad had a ton laying around and we just trimmed the bottom a bit and split it in two and mounted it behind the handle. VERY sturdy and don't have to worry about the tank dropping or slipping. I'll update some more once we finish it up this weekend or next.