ingredients, Anise and Vanilla - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > ingredients, Anise and Vanilla

Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
KyleWolf
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Saint Louis, Missouri
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Hey everyone, so I am starting to put together a recipe in which I want to incorporate roast, vanilla, and anise (black licorice/jager/absinthe flavor) I plan on using between 1-3 vanilla beans (probably 2, but range never hurts), and I thought about roasting the vanilla beans first...like one would roast pecans for a pecan brown ale. anyone ever try? Or do you think the vanilla would burn/cook off/become astringent etc?

And now the anise, I can get whole star anise at my LHBS or oriental market, but I am unsure how much I want to add. I just want the flavor in the background, to be there, but only to complement the vanilla and bourbon (yet another tasty addition).

I have never used anise before and I assume it would just go into secondary along with the vanilla beans. But how potent is anise? If anyone has any experience with this I would be very grateful if you shared your knowledge.

I would assume 1, maybe 1.5 would be enough, but I have learned a long time ago assumptions are the mother of all screw ups (edited for profane words lol).

Thank you
Kyle
Up next: Lemon and Thyme Blonde

Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Rockville, MD
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've never heard of roasting vanilla. If you have a couple spare beans, it might be really interesting to try, but I'd want to have a backup just in case.

Anise is very potent, I'd be careful with it. You can always add more, even at bottling if you make an extract or tea.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
DRoyLenz

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Chicago
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I used Star Anise in a Belgian Wit recipe. I added 0.2 oz (5 gallon recipe), and the flavor was very understated. I'm not sure I'd recommend adding a whole lot more than that though.