Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > keeping primary cool?

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
starrfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerfBrew View Post
If you have the space to build a Fermentation Chiller, this thing is great.

http://www.blackcanyonbrewers.com/Bl...es/chiller.pdf
Interesting build... I like that it can be expanded to 4 gallons of ice.
may build a non-powered one to start... (using AC vent for additional cool air circulation.) not as high tech but may be ok

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #22
suprchunk
Fich Eine Ente
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerfBrew View Post
If you have the space to build a Fermentation Chiller, this thing is great.

http://www.blackcanyonbrewers.com/Bl...es/chiller.pdf

Your temperatures can be maintained within a few degrees. It will easily maintain ale temps in the heat of summer, and you can leave it alone for a couple of days with no worries. If you have a balcony on your apartment, you could probably get away with putting it out there.

I used mine in my garage last summer, and it was fine. But I am thinking of making it better this year. I have an idea about setting up some ducting so it will draw in the cold air from my crawlspace instead of needing ice. I haven't thought it through very well yet, but I think it could be done.
That writeup by Ken sure is a blast from the past. I made one years ago, and it served me quite well during the hot summer months in West Texas. And the cost for materials was well under $20 at the time.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks like I am giong to have to invest in something to keep my primary cool sooner than later. It was 87 in PA yesterday, is supposed to be 91 today and upper 80s again tomorrow I had to move my primary down to the basement this morning because it was alerady up to 72 degrees and I figured it would only go up from there as the day goes on...

Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #24
coldrice
Recipes 

Find an Ace Hardware, they carry 15 and 17 gallon tubs for $15 and $20. Perfect for a keg, or your carboy.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #25
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post
Looks like I am giong to have to invest in something to keep my primary cool sooner than later. It was 87 in PA yesterday, is supposed to be 91 today and upper 80s again tomorrow I had to move my primary down to the basement this morning because it was alerady up to 72 degrees and I figured it would only go up from there as the day goes on...
i'm with you. My laundry room stays pretty cool thru out the day but not sure how long that will remain to be true once summer is in full swing. I was thinking a beer tub and a wet t-shirt. but a box chiller seems a bit nicer.

along these lines though, which is worse, a higher fermentation temp (within reason obviously) or shaking up the fermenting wort while trying to move it?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
coldrice
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
i'm with you. My laundry room stays pretty cool thru out the day but not sure how long that will remain to be true once summer is in full swing. I was thinking a beer tub and a wet t-shirt. but a box chiller seems a bit nicer.

along these lines though, which is worse, a higher fermentation temp (within reason obviously) or shaking up the fermenting wort while trying to move it?
Shaking would probably be more of a help than a hinderance, up to a point...wouldn't it?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
Grimm
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well i guess it is more dependent on what stage the yeast is at, re-production or feeding. i was trying to focus on the feeding stage which could lead to oxidation when shaken. But i guess that is better than a half fermented wort because the heat killed them off?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #28
castlefreak
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can always brew a saison or some other warmer fermenting belgian ales in summer, they can ferment up to 85 degrees F.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post

I brewed on Friday so I am about 6 days into my fermentation. I am really trying to avoid the banana/clove taste (brewing a hoppy wheat) so I took my chances with shaking the beer to move it to a cooler temp. I was very careful and I don't think I disturbed it too much...I hope.