Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > SA Triple Bock

Old 04-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Hopin-Josh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default SA Triple Bock

OK, so my brother and I happened to find a bottle of this stuff. We were so geeked. So we immediately ran home and pour some into a shot glass. We were so excited we were almost levitating off the floor. We had heard this was the stuff of legends. So we take a sip of it expecting to love it. We both kind of sit in silence staring at it trying to figure out why it tastes so much like soy sauce - not wanting to admit it out loud.

So I was a little down on myself. I felt like the BMC drinker you hand an IPA to and they freak out wanting to know why you would drink something that tastes so much like, "Pine Branches" as a co-worker told me about one of my IPA's.

So I hop on Beer Advocate and still to this day there are guys raving about it, scoring it an A+. Remarking about raisin, apricot and a bunch of other "notes" when I thought soy and sushi would have been more appropriate.

Now my question is this...have I not reached the Ghandi like stage of sophisticating my palette yet? I thought up to this point I was doing pretty well, OR are people acting like a bunch of pretentious wine snobs when really this stuff tastes terrible? Maybe there are still some good bottles out there?? Not sure what vintage mine was...I even tried 2-3 more times to like it. Finally I poured what I thought was going to be a new revelation in beer down the drain.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Beers with really high melanoidins run the risk of creating that "soy sauce" flavor you're noticing. I know on the Brewing Network Jamil warns about it several times, I think in particular when talking about doppelbocks. So you're probably not crazy.

I don't know, I think Sam Adams is going to burn for forsaking the -ator tradition of doppelbocks and naming their beer "double bock" and "triple bock."

Old 04-05-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The **** tastes like soy sauce. I have a pretty refined palate, and the **** is gross.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #4
Hopin-Josh
Recipes 

LOL OK good, as long as I am not the only one who missed the raisins and apricots!!!

Well at least it was only a $9 bottle and not a $250 bottle of Utopias...

Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #5
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First, $9 is too much. $5 is normal.

Second, bottles vary. Even from the same case some bottles have a strong soy sauce taste and others will taste great. When you get a good bottle it is ambrosia.