Why the **** is it.... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Why the **** is it....

Old 04-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #1
BBKing

Recipes 

Oct 2009
Canton, IL
Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts

That I paid for a nice queen sized pillow top mattress like a month ago and find myself getting comfy on the couch?

Huge flareup between SWMBO and I aside, I dont usually like to sleep apart (despite her late night cuddling and cover stealing) and then add to that that I'm 100% in the right on the latest topic.

WTF gives?

Theres room for me, for sure. I go into the bedroom and see my one year old sleeping with mom as he had a hard time falling asleep, and mom in the center of the mattress. So I start to edge in and wake her up to scoot just a tad bit, and she scoots the other way!

If the boy wasnt in there sleeping, I'd have raised hell about it.

While I appreciate the excuse to drink another pint, being kicked off of the bed I paid for 100% and not being able to bitch about it to SWMBO on account of the child really ****ing gets my goat.

Its time for seperate god damn rooms for her and I

Although, the couch is pretty damn comfy

Old 04-04-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts

I know a lot of people do it, but a child should not be sleeping in the same bed as the parents.

That said, my wife is asleep on her Vera Wang Wedding collectable (like there's chance that someone has a 18 bedroom house with one in each room...)...and since I've been drinking, plus it's almost 1:15 AM...I'm staying downstairs on the couch because I like it...

It's a WIN-WIN situation...I can drink and snore all by my lonesome and SHE gets a good nights' sleep...

We have 2 other bedrooms set up for relative/company, but I prefer to stay downstairs...

Old 04-04-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
northernlad
Recipes 

Aug 2009
NW
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

You have to break your wife of giving in to your kid. He didn't have a hard time going to sleep, he worked her and will continue to work her as long as the two of you let him.

I like to sleep on the couch or the spare room from time to time, but there is no way in hell anybody is going to keep me from my bed if that's where I am going to sleep.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Want2Brew

Recipes 

Jul 2009
illinois
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernlad View Post
You have to break your wife of giving in to your kid. He didn't have a hard time going to sleep, he worked her and will continue to work her as long as the two of you let him.

I like to sleep on the couch or the spare room from time to time, but there is no way in hell anybody is going to keep me from my bed if that's where I am going to sleep.
+1 on this for sure. I work nights and it pisses me off when I come home and find my 4 yo son in my bed. I ask my wife to stop letting it happen and she didn't so I just started making sure to wake him up at 6 am when I get home so she would have to get up with him. Strangely I no longer find my son in my bed in the morning any more.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

We never let our daughter sleep in our bed. When she was a baby, we'd sometimes take turns sleeping with her on the couch. When she she turned 3, we put her in a full sized bed in her room. If she needs company, one of us goes to her bed to sleep.

With that said, I frequently find myself sleeping on the couch. I have an ungodly snore. All the men in my family have it, going back 4 generations.

And frankly, I'd rather snore on the couch than be punched, pushed, and kicked all night for snoring in bed and then have a tired, grouchy wife to deal with in the morning.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
dougf
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree! Cant let the kids sleep in the bed. My 3 year old daughter wants to probably 3 times a week, gotta tell her no

Also, screw sleeping on the couch when SHE is pissed! I never have done that, ive slept next to a pissed off wife many times

Old 04-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Nov 2005
Orlando, FL
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

+1 on the child in thier own bed every night. We had to recently break the habit of our 3 yr old coming to our bed in the middle of the night. After enough times telling him to go back to bed, he stays in there all night now. The thing that helped the most was a small 25w lamp so he doesnt have to sleep in the "scary" dark.

Good luck bro!

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 04-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

We did a hall light nightlight. But my daughter started complaining that it wasn't enough and would turn the hall light in during the night. Which in turn woke me up.

So she got a lava lamp to use as a nightlight for her 4th birthday.

I agree that the only way you can get the kid to stop sleeping in the bed is to draw a line and say no more.

How old is your son? Depending on his age you could try a couple things. You could always try a reward stragety. Like "you'll get this in the morning if your a big boy and sleep in your own bed all night." Or a sticker chart with a bigger reward when it's all filled in might work too. That worked for us with potty training.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
DevilsCreekBrewing
Recipes 

Sep 2009
Cambridge Ontario
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would rather I never had to share a bed again in my life. I don't always snore, but when I do, I shake walls. My SWMBO however snores frequently, then says she doesn't when I wake her to roll over. Grrrr.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 AM   #10
GregR

Recipes 

Aug 2008
San Diego, CA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Hah, totally off topic, but my ex and I went bed shopping when we moved in together and it caused a sh!t storm of an argument. she wasn't willing to spend a lot (ok almost ANY) money on a decent mattress and I, being a person who the sleep fairy regularly forgets and ignores, was willing to say "money no object" so long as I can get to sleep on the damn thing. we're arguing and arguing about it, she doesn't want to spend much money it on but strangely enough it was all MY money that was spent on it regardless. we finally go to the mattress store and she takes me to the back of the store where the $100 king size "mattresses" are and tries to get me to lay down on one. I do and it's the lumpiest hardest, most supportive piece or crap I've ever laid on. it takes the one mattress for me to flair up and yell "NO! come with me, we're doing this my way." I go to the fron of the store right by the door where the creme de la creme is displayed and tell her to lay on a $1600 (ballpark figure, it was a few years ago) matress. we're laying on it and she falls in loves with it. tell me she is sorry and we really shouldn't cheap out on it and lets find something comparable to this but maybe a little cheaper. right at that time the salesman comes up to us while we are still laying on the mattress and says, we are all out of stock of that one but I'll sell you the floor model for $700 out the door. needless to say, before we even sat up, we committed to buying the bed. the bed that I wanted, the bed that I payed for, and the bed that I got only a tiny sliver of each night. one day the ex even told me she wishes we would have opted for a king size instead of a queen. I just laughed and told her it doesn't matter what size of bed we got, my sliver of the bed would stay the same size. but I'll be goddamned if someone kicks me off of MY sliver of MY bed. I'd never unwillingly sleep on the couch. but now I get the whole thing to myself!!!!!