Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > What To Clean It With

Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Xiren
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What To Clean It With

I used some tax return money and was able to get me a Blichmann pot. Since this was an investment, I want to take care of this pot with kid gloves. What do others use to clean the inside bottom of their Blichmann pots?

I used to use a green pad on my old pot, but I think that is too harsh.

Thank you in advance.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 850 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Never had a Blichmann, but I have found hot water w/ a touch of oxiclean to work well post brewing. Occasionally some bar keepers friend on the inside / outside will polish it up like new! Mainly the inside might retain some brownish residue....beerstone I believe. It seems to build after a few batches...BKF works wonders.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
SOB
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Stainless, right? It should be as easy as rinsing off with hot water and a rag if you clean in soon after use. If you really want to clean it use some OxyClean and a rag. There should be much of a need for really scrubbing it with a pad...but that's from my experience with Aluminum. BTW, if it is aluminum, dont use OxyClean.

"I'm much too young to feel this damn old"

Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Barkeepers friend will work great to keep it shiney. Soft rag or sponge and some BKF.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use Barkeepers friend after every use. I use a propane gas burner, and have no problems getting anything off the pot.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Xiren
Recipes 

HOLY CRAP!
Thank you everyone for responding. Guess I need to take a trip to the store.

My old pot I would clean it with wash cloth and dish soap, but I started to notice a brown buildup, beerstone from what wilserbrewer says. I used a green pad, on that one, but... BKF will be the cleaner of choise.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
schmagy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stainless is popular because it is easy! I have been using Sun a knockoff Walmart brand oxyclean which works very well. no scrubbing! have also used diswasher detergent, and the Farm fleet branded milkhouse cleaners for dairy farms... that stuff really melts away the crap! though its use requires some respect and understanding of chemicals.

Biggest thing i would recommend is to wipe it off after you clean it.. stainless will corrode, especially after strong chemicals without an acid wash at the end. wipe it dry or air dry upside down and your kids kids kids will be brewing long after your are gone.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Jimbo5Star
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, sure I have a bias but am amazed no one else on THIS forum went here. Other posts here list these options too so we would reco PBW, rinse, Star San (or Saniclean). Many of the items here do not have chelators so might be great in your laundry but will not address mineral soiling issues, such as the beerstone you mention.

PBW has several chelators chosen specifically for mineral soils from brewing and Star San or Saniclean will leave your pot in an acid state, allowing it to naturally 'heal' its passivation and never corroding. Actually, stainless, by definition, cannot corrode, but steal can. Stainless steel can loose its 'stainless'-ness which is why it corrodes. Choosing an acid sanitizer is the easiest way for a homebrewer to help his Stainless stay Stainless without using the nitric/phos acid routines the pros use on their sizable set-ups.