Looking for Founders Dirty Bastard Clone - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Looking for Founders Dirty Bastard Clone

Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #31
sgoehner
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Wauwatosa, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info guys, I really hope that his one turns out. It has been going steady since Monday morning and I have about a 4 inch Krausen currently. Sitting around 60-62 still. This is my biggest beer so far, so I am curious to see how long it takes for the Krausen to drop and for the two packs of 05 to finish it off.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #32
sgoehner
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Wauwatosa, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Update on progress, brewed the AG version of this 9 days ago and pitched two packs of US-05. Started about 1.078, and it is now down to 1.011. Doubt it is going to go any lower, but planning to leave it for 2 or 3 more weeks. Tasted the hydro sample and not only is it extremely close to the original already, in my opinion, but this is by far the best beer I have made to date if it holds up. The next couple of weeks of waiting are going to be very hard.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
Cold Country Brewery

Recipes 

Jan 2011
Superior, WI
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Any update on the all-grain version? It's been a few months since people have brewed this, there must be some kind of update.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #34
brewser7

Recipes 

Jan 2012
, Missouri
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Country Brewery
Any update on the all-grain version? It's been a few months since people have brewed this, there must be some kind of update.
I made mine a while back with wyeast1056 and it turned out great. I took it to my beer club meeting the night we were tasting Scottish ales. Founders DB just happened to be on the list so we drank founders first and my clone after. All 10 people said they enjoyed mine better than the actual DB. I will say, I think we got a poor batch from Founders because the bottle wasn't near as good as it has been I the past (the mouthfeel just wasn't there). However, I think this is a great recipe and tastes very similar to the DB. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who enjoys the wee heavies.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #35
swolfe
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Columbus, OH

I tried this beer with US-05 (starter with washed yeast). It turned out really well. It was my first time cold crashing. The beer is slightly hazy but there is almost no yeast at the bottom. I bottled 3 of the 5 gal with Appleton Estate V/X at a rate of 2oz/gal. It mostly added a fruity taste with a touch of alcohol warmth.

I have not yet compared it next to the real thing.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:10 AM   #36
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

Is anyone boiling part of the wort until caramelized on this one?

Wiki Editor for Milk The Funk
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 AM   #37
OneFeather
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Brooklyn Park, MN
Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Anybody by chance try this with 1728? I am doing a Wee Heavy in about a month and I was thinking of this or the Northern Brewer Wee Heavy kit.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #38
Clifton
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Liked 47 Times on 40 Posts

I used the White Labs version. It was nice and smokey but didn't attenuate enough (too sweet). I had to use a Wy1056 yeast cake to dry it out. After that it was amazing.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #39
KarlHungus76

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Chicago, IL
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman13 View Post
Is anyone boiling part of the wort until caramelized on this one?
+1 to this. I was wondering the same thing. Bueller............Bueller?

Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 AM   #40
BrewingPrepper
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Lexington, North Carolina
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am about to try first ever bottled dirty bastard. In the last week I found a store that actually sells good beer. I tried Weyerbacher merry monks, Terrapin easy rider ale, Victory hops wallop, Siberian night imperial stout. And a few others. Im brewing a IPA for my first brew.

First impressions of DB...Hard to describe aroma...kind of faint. Taste is more towards a light stout with a bitter finish. Im new to all this so idk what Im saying!

If anyone has concerns about the direction the world is going please PM me for more details...