Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Has anyone had no signs of carbonation after 7 days?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Byrdbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Has anyone had no signs of carbonation after 7 days?

Title says it all - I bottled a sorghum beer, a recipe I have brewed several times before. usually after about a week I have good signs of carbonation, and its just a matter of giving it another week or two to really push teh co2 into the beer fo a good long lasting carbonation. This last batch I made, I just tried one after 8 days in the bottle and there is just the faintest sound of a hiss when opened. Has any one had a beer that showed no signs of carbonation after 7 days, and turned out fine? of should I open, dump into a bucket, pitch, and re-bottle?

6 lb sorghum syrup
1 lb rice syrup solids
SG 1.064 ish
FG 1.010
Safale US-05

Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Um....most of my beers (with the exception of wheats) don't have alot of carbonation after a week. Heck...some stouts have taken over a month. Relax and be patient.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
dougf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yup. Ive had some that are carbed in a week (let them sit two anyway) and some that are not. Its a bummer, but you just gotta do the basics, Make sure its carbing warm enough, and wait! Check at two weeks, you may have to wait three or four

Old 03-29-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Byrdbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71 View Post
Um....most of my beers (with the exception of wheats) don't have alot of carbonation after a week. Heck...some stouts have taken over a month. Relax and be patient.
ya that was my initial thought, but this recipe is very crisp and clear and usually has good signs of carbonation early, so I wasnt sure if maybe I fermented out my yeast, or if there is any types of contamination that could have killed my yeast, or if its just a unique batch and is on a slower carbonation pace. Im thinking because of the very faint hiss when I opened it, that you are right and it is just carbing slow, but man that hiss was so faint I couldnt tell if it was in my head lol.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Let her go...I have gotten mixed results. Some take a 1 week and they are pretty carbed and some take 3 weeks. I had one that didn't have nothing after a week but at 3 weeks it was nice.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

My 12oz bottles of my recent Imperial stout took 6 weeks to fully carb (house temp was a little below 70F). They definately had no signs of carbonation after a week.

The larger bottles imperial stout are still carbing and its been 10 weeks.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
HiGravShawn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't even begin to worry until 3 weeks. Even if it has some carbonation after 1 week, it will be green tasting usually. 3 weeks in the bottle always tastes much better than 1-2. People who get brews faster are usually force carbing C02.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #8
mikebiewer
Recipes 

Be patient and let it have some time my friend.

Things will be all good!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
STEVENJAN
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Same thing happened to me

I had a batch I made up and there was no carb after 1 week. I waited 2 weeks and still nothing. I took some advice from another online brewer.
I chilled the bottles and then dropped in a couple of priming drops in each qt. bottle and one in the pint bottles. I let them reach room temperature and waited 1 week for a taste test. After 1 week there was some carbonation but not optimum. I waited 2 weeks and taste tested again. It was perfect.
Or I suppose, you could wait 4 weeks. I just didn't feel confident that it was progressing toward full carb. Also, same as you this was a batch (amber) that had been fine in the past. I wondered if there was enough yeast left in the beer to carb out the added sugar. I think the yeast has to start up again. At what point does the yeast go dormant?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
boydak
Recipes 

Do Not start over!!!!!

Good things come to those who wait.

Tags
bottling, carbonation, carbonation problems, flat beer