Waiting to pitch yeast? Is this ok? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Waiting to pitch yeast? Is this ok?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #1
Feb 2010
Lynchburg, VA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll be brewing today but the yeast I've been waiting on probably won't get here till this evening. It's my day off so I can't really change when I brew. I normally let the cooled wort sit covered in the brew pot with the lid sprayed with Starsan and covered in tinfoil for 30 minutes to let a lot of the trub settle before I transfer to my primary. If I wait for the mail guy it might be a couple hours sitting there waiting on yeast.

This is a 3 gallon batch and I typically use White Labs without a starter. It normally seems like enough yeast but if I'm mistaken there feel free to correct me. Critiques are always welcome.

I could transfer a similar batch and wash up that yeast and repitch. It's a hefe strain but not the one I have coming today. That might just mean I'll have to brew again in the near future though.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
Nov 2007
Liked 117 Times on 104 Posts

It's fine, although I would transfer to the primary and have the wort sit there instead of the kettle - lower chances for infection, plus you don't get as much stratification before racking.