Boston, MA....beer hell? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > North East Homebrew Forum > Boston, MA....beer hell?

Old 03-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
TCHDNSD
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Nampa, ID
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Ok, so I know you guys up here in N.E. have things figured out, but since I come from IdeeHo, I can not figure out how you're buying beer. It's not for sale at conv. stores? Wow. So I'm at the Holiday Inn in Tewksbury and I'm here all week. So far I've dropped a c-note on a cab ride from the airport to the hotel.
Plus another c on dinner and drinks. $6 for a pint of harpoon seems excessive.
HELP me.
I'm in school Mon-Fri and I fly out on Sat. at 5 pm. Any help appreciated. Especially if it involves a ride to someplace to buy beer / wine.
I know there are some guys around the area. Any pointers?
(yeah, I got the "Go back to Idaho" comments) Anything a little more useful?
Thanks in advance.
Any serious offers and I'll get you the phone# for my cell or hotel.

Cheers.

p.s. I wish I had more time and freedom to check out the area 'cause so far, it seems really cool.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
drez77
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Palmer MA
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Not sure where in Boston you are but maybe this will help you find something close
http://www.brewingnews.com/webpdfs/Y...husetts%20.pdf

Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Denver, CO
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You need to find a package store. There should be plenty around. They only sell beer in liquor stores.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
bmbigda
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Pembroke, MA
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

There is a package store 1.5 miles down the street from you called Barron's Country Store. I've never actually been inside so I don't know what the selection is like.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
bmbigda
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Pembroke, MA
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

So where you're staying in Tewksbury is a dead zone for beer. I work right by your hotel and am 90% sure there's no decent beer stores. I'd help you out but I'm not in that office this week.

That being said, I'm sure someone form Lowell can chime in and let you in on some bars that have some good beer on tap. If not post in the New England on beeradvocate asking for decent beer bars and stores in the Lowell area.

Are you taking a course at UMASS?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
TCHDNSD
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Nampa, ID
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
There is a package store 1.5 miles down the street from you called Barron's Country Store. I've never actually been inside so I don't know what the selection is like.
We walked there last night. Not much selection. Picked up a 12 pack of Harpoon IPA and stopped today and got a 6er of Harpoon Celtic ale. An Irish red, so that's something.

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it greatly.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
TCHDNSD
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Nampa, ID
Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
Are you taking a course at UMASS?

No, I'm doing a week long training class at the HP site in Andover. The hotel shuttles us back and forth. Maybe tomorrow we'll get a rental car and be able to move around a bit.

This rain is making things interesting. Hope everyone is safe. And dry.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 AM   #8
brewmonk
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Sharon,MA
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

well, welcome to Bahstahn.

i hope you have a good time finding some more. theres a brewpub or two over in the Salem/Gloucester area, i think. google em when you get the car. if i were closer i'd pick your brain about hpux.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
buffalobrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Buffalo, NY
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHDNSD View Post
No, I'm doing a week long training class at the HP site in Andover. The hotel shuttles us back and forth. Maybe tomorrow we'll get a rental car and be able to move around a bit.

This rain is making things interesting. Hope everyone is safe. And dry.
time to tip the driver and have him make a pitstop!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:11 AM   #10
brewmonk
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Sharon,MA
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

maybe it's time to check out the 'concierge service' at the hotel! (ha, if you want a $20 6pack)