Stuff settling at the bottom of fermenter? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stuff settling at the bottom of fermenter?

Old 03-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
beerious
Recipes 

Mar 2010
seattle

Hi All,

I started my first brew (an amber ale) on Tuesday the 23rd... and I noticed that there's some stuff settling at the bottom I'm guessing it's the yeast... I went to the troubleshooting section of John Palmer's how to brew and it says to kinda shake the fermenter a little and move it to a warmer place, I wanted to get a second opinion though because it's my first batch and I have very limited knowledge.

thanks, I appreciate any help..

Old 03-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #2
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

Completely normal. Mostly yeast & particulate matter (hops) that's settling. When you rack (transfer) once it's done fermenting, you want to avoid sucking that stuff up as much as possible. Makes for a cleaner tasting (and looking!) brew.
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
ChshreCat

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts

It's trub. Settling is what it does. As the egg man (coo coo cachoo) says, you wanna let it settle out and leave it behind.

This is what was left behind in one of my batches after I racked it to secondary:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...yeast-cake.jpg

Old 03-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?

Recipes 

May 2009
SW Michigan
Liked 5415 Times on 5264 Posts

Don't shake anything. The stuff that collects at the bottom of the fermenter is a mix of yeast, hops, and various particles from the brewing process. That's a good thing, so just leave it be and try not to suck too much of it up into the bottling bucket or kegs as scrambledegg said and you'll be fine.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Los Osos, CA
Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
This is what was left behind in one of my batches after I racked it to secondary:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachme...yeast-cake.jpg
Dirrrrty.
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: The Abyss, Firestone 19th Anniversary Ale
Kegerator: sanitizer!
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
beerious
Recipes 

Mar 2010
seattle

What about this much stuff at the bottom?? there's like a liters worth and its a 5 gallon brew? Is that still okay?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:33 AM   #7
duffman2
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Houston Texas
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Duffman says trub puts hair on your chest! Oh Yeah!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #8
SumnerH
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Alexandria, VA, USA
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerious View Post
What about this much stuff at the bottom?? there's like a liters worth and its a 5 gallon brew? Is that still okay?
Yep, perfectly normal. Let it sit, and try not to stick your siphon in it when you rack the beer out of there.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
nebben

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Now legal in Utah
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

In an all grain brew, all the hot and cold break material falls to the bottom immediately after I pour it into the fermenter. Sometimes it rises past the 1G mark.

Not to worry though. Over the primary fermentation, it will settle/compact, and eventually yeast will accumulate into the trub cake. Most of mine start out with a ~5.25-5.5G volume, and I will usually see about a half gallon loss due to settled trub in the end. The beer ends up fantastic!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
beerious
Recipes 

Mar 2010
seattle

okay, awesome! thanks guys for the reassurance... I was just worried about the fruits of my labor going to waste. All the info. is much appreciated!