Another Cooper's question... IPA kit - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another Cooper's question... IPA kit

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
arundel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Louisiana, USA
Posts: 12


Not sure if I messed up or not, but I have a Coopers kit, I bought their IPA kit which came with the concentrate, dextrose, and malt. Being a friggin' n00b, I just mixed all the ingredients(in the boiling water as directed) and pitched my yeast. I got action almost immediately...I mean within 30 minutes I had bubbling in the airlock. The next day it was actually percolating!!! THEN>>>..I went back and looked at the directions...it said to use 300grams of dextrose and 500 grms of the malt.....umh..I used it ALL. The whole kg of dextrose along with 500 grams of malt!!
Did I mess up?...or is it just gonna be a stronger brew of IPA??...


Sorry to freak and ask such silly questions, but I'm new to this...



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
Bacchus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Central Coast, CA
Posts: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by arundel View Post
Not sure if I messed up or not, but I have a Coopers kit, I bought their IPA kit which came with the concentrate, dextrose, and malt. Being a friggin' n00b, I just mixed all the ingredients(in the boiling water as directed) and pitched my yeast. I got action almost immediately...I mean within 30 minutes I had bubbling in the airlock. The next day it was actually percolating!!! THEN>>>..I went back and looked at the directions...it said to use 300grams of dextrose and 500 grms of the malt.....umh..I used it ALL. The whole kg of dextrose along with 500 grams of malt!!
Did I mess up?...or is it just gonna be a stronger brew of IPA??...


Sorry to freak and ask such silly questions, but I'm new to this...

I brewed that kit a couple of years ago and did the same thing. Dumped everything in....and it came out great. Relax. It's really hard to screw up a Coopers beer kit. LOL!!!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
JGB
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
TX
Posts: 53
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I just made Cooper's IPA for my 3rd batch tonight.

You didn't pitch your yeast in near boiling water did you? I hope that you waited for it to cool off a bit. Ideally you should pitch the yeast into the wort when it's 70-80F. It will be ok if it's a little warmer than that. I learned this the hard way on my last batch and it's turning out ok. (with some banana esters that won't bother me much).
__________________
"Warning: consumption of this alcoholic beverage may make individual appearances and dumb ideas (glug glug glug) more better!"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
arundel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Louisiana, USA
Posts: 12

Thanks,...I figured it would be ok but I wanted to ask.

JGB, no it wasn't too hot when I pitched. It was at the top end, for sure(28C). I put an LSU hoodie over the fermenter to help it hold its warmth and it is staying at 26C so far. Still percolating like mad.
Man, I can't wait!!! I hope this stuff is good. Ima sho 'nuff IPA nut!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by arundel View Post
Thanks,...I figured it would be ok but I wanted to ask.

JGB, no it wasn't too hot when I pitched. It was at the top end, for sure(28C). I put an LSU hoodie over the fermenter to help it hold its warmth and it is staying at 26C so far. Still percolating like mad.
Man, I can't wait!!! I hope this stuff is good. Ima sho 'nuff IPA nut!!
you should definitely take that hoody off, 26C is at least 6C too high. Also, if you boiled the 500g of malt then your definitely going to have a very astrigent beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Bacchus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Central Coast, CA
Posts: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
you should definitely take that hoody off, 26C is at least 6C too high. Also, if you boiled the 500g of malt then your definitely going to have a very astrigent beer
Just out of curiosity.....how does boiling malt make for an "astringent" beer? Every beer kit and recipe I've ever made called for boiling the DME for at least 15 minutes. Sometimes a half hour to 45 minutes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


extract gets boiled, not malt (grains). malt should never be in water above 170F otherwise you extract tannins and create astrigency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
Bacchus
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Central Coast, CA
Posts: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp27 View Post
extract gets boiled, not malt (grains). malt should never be in water above 170F otherwise you extract tannins and create astrigency.
Interesting. I'll have to research that one a little. I just made a Belgian Strong Ale about a month ago and the recipe called for the DME to be added to the final 15 minutes of the boil. This was a Northern Brewer kit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
arundel
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Louisiana, USA
Posts: 12

well crap!....this is getting worse. It was a dry malt extract and I didn't boil it at all. I just dissolved it in about a gallon of boiling water along with the dextrose..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


ok I think we are just having a terminology breakdown here. im referring to malt as the actual grains, not the DME/LME. in the OP, I assumed the concentrate mentioned was the extract and the 500g of malt mentioned was grains. was there any actual grains in the kit?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody made Cooper's European Lager - Yeast Question lady_brewer Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 06-28-2010 11:30 AM
Cooper's IPA kit KingPin461 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 09-21-2009 08:49 PM
Help me mod a cooper's kit.... BrewOnBoard Extract Brewing 10 08-23-2009 05:57 AM
Cooper's kit smilem Extract Brewing 6 12-05-2006 11:54 PM
Cooper's Kit cancerboy Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-07-2006 09:27 AM


Forum Jump