Pneumatic Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthBeer

Reaction score
I've recently gotten a chest freezer so I'm looking at different design ideas.
One idea I had, I wanted to see what people though of it as far as praticality and a novel concept.

What I'm thinking is to have the faucets inside the keezer instead of mounted to the lid or a collar. The taps would be mounted to a frame and on slide rails. Using a co2 powered pneumatic piston to raise and lower the taps/drip tray assembly in and out of the keezer.

Sounds interesting. So the keezer would have to open every time you need a pint? I'm having trouble visualizing this.

A couple of likely problems with the idea: First, every time the lid opens, you'll be admitting moisture into the keezer. This will lead to frost and mold. Second, many, if not most pneumatic components don't like CO2. Pneumatic valve bodies are typically made of Aluminum, with small passages and small poppets. Sooner or later they will fail if you use CO2. Been there, done that. Of course, if you could run it on an air compressor, or a bottle of Nitrogen. But you'll still have a moldy keezer!

It sounded like a interesting idea. Although the more I think about it the more problems I find with it like whats been mentioned here. Also, using more electricity to stay cold. The problem I haven't thought of originally was the party scenario of it opening and closing constantly or leaving it open for hours. Neither would be good.

Dude....
Don't give up so easy. It def can be done with min time of being open or closed.
Yous a got me thinkin

I'll have to draw up some pics to really explain it clearly. One idea I had though is to have an insulated "deck" inside the freezer so that the part over the kegs, etc is covered while the area over the compressor shelf (where the tap mechanism would be located) is the only exposed part. Kind of like having a table shaped piece that sits inside the freezer.

The exterior I plan on it being a wood frame similar to other designs in the DIY area. With a wood lid that fits over the freezer lid. Essentially, it would like like a reg wooden bar where the top swings open to get at the inside of the freezer.

What are the benifits you are looking for with this design? Sounds like you want it to be a box that will then transform into you bar with the taps and all, I'm guessing you wanting a tower for your taps as apose to the usual faucets sticking out the front.
Drawings would be good to illustrate what you want, what I am thinking is if you got a new lid made out of wood and cut a hole in that that the tap/tower/drip tray assembly would pop out of. Now I should draw soemthing up to illustrate, maybe I'll do it tonight.

The idea for the taps inside the freezer came from the idea of if it could be made without putting any holes in the freezer. I know this could be done using a collar. Although this will be in a game room. A white freezer sitting in the room would look out of place. I haven't ruled out putting taps on top of the lid, but exploring various options and designs first. Another idea that just came to me would be to use the general collar setup while still putting wood around the rest of the freezer. This would all using the top of the freezer to hold glasses, casks, etc in addition to the taps on the collar. That might be something to look into further since it simplifies the build and engineering alot.

Well lets look and see how this will likely be used. WHen you first come up with the great creation it is so much fun to show your friends, but when practicality kicks in, My bet is that it will sit out 90% of the time being poured from. SO design for the most use there, and live with its eventual 'home'. I havent seen Coolerators have mold problems exclusively from air exposure, although mold does need air. It also needs leaked beer into your cooler for food. Heres a good idea, use the rubber hexagonal surface floor mats for floor surfaces for a layer on your cooler bottom, and rinse the cooler out through the drain on occasion. No bleach, nothing but some detergent. Cleanliness is absolute in brewing, it will never fail you.

The idea for the taps inside the freezer came from the idea of if it could be made without putting any holes in the freezer. I know this could be done using a collar. Although this will be in a game room. A white freezer sitting in the room would look out of place. I haven't ruled out putting taps on top of the lid, but exploring various options and designs first. Another idea that just came to me would be to use the general collar setup while still putting wood around the rest of the freezer. This would all using the top of the freezer to hold glasses, casks, etc in addition to the taps on the collar. That might be something to look into further since it simplifies the build and engineering alot.

Putting wood around the cooler is possible on the rear, but the other sides are where your condenser is for cooling. My collar extends out the front 16", and the 'bar' is in the rear, with wood decoration, with the footrail covering 3 sides (not front ).Dont know your location or how much you can sacrifice on BTUs or cooler life span, but you are better painting your cooler with canned spray paint than covering with 'insulating' wood. Using a collar is the best way to utilize your cooler. It minimizes opening of the cooler, helping on all the problems of environmental control, and can be fun. Got a buddy with an airbrush? Turn him loose. Have your friends sign it. I know, low WAF.

Putting wood around the cooler is possible on the rear, but the other sides are where your condenser is for cooling. My collar extends out the front 16", and the 'bar' is in the rear, with wood decoration, with the footrail covering 3 sides (not front ).Dont know your location or how much you can sacrifice on BTUs or cooler life span, but you are better painting your cooler with canned spray paint than covering with 'insulating' wood. Using a collar is the best way to utilize your cooler. It minimizes opening of the cooler, helping on all the problems of environmental control, and can be fun. Got a buddy with an airbrush? Turn him loose. Have your friends sign it. I know, low WAF.

Ok, Ima quote myself. Heres some earlier pics of my 'Keezer'. Best I could find. It now has an oak front where the fabric is, and a 3 sided footrest not seen. Ive always called it the BeerWench. " Ya wanna beer? Go talk to the BeerWench."

kooler1.jpg

kooler2.jpg

The freezer has a vent on the right side where the compressor is. I figured if anything needed to be uncovered it would be that area and the back of the freezer. I didnt know there would be an issue with covering the freezer in general. Maybe a larger frame and a 2-3 inch airgap between the frame the outter freezer walls?

The airbrush idea would look good with the right design and a talented artist. It would certainly be one of a kind.

Yes, covering the exterior of the freezer will kill it. Bot the evaporator and the condenser in a typical chest freezer are comprised of many yards of small tubing, looped through under the inner and skin of the walls.

Latest posts

Back