Anyone know how to make chili sauce

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Just thought Id ask on here since the answers for all the questions in life are better answered on here than through a google search :)

Anyone know any good recipes or tips for making chilli sauce or chutney? I have my own chillies grown at home and was hoping to make a hot sauce and a chutney. Any got any experience with this?

Hot Chilli Sauce: should make the most of the heat of the chillis and maintain the chilli flavour

Chilli Chutney: should use the mild chillies I have grown and mix with fruits to make a sweet an tasty but very mild chutney (for the girls)

Cheers to anyone who can help...
:mug:

There have to be several thousand ways to make a chili sauce.

Here's a simple one: put your chilis in food processor, add vinegar and salt, whirl away!

I was just hoping someone might have a few secret recipes or tips to get the most out of the flavours and heat of the chillies :) Guess I'm going to have to google it

What kind of peppers are you using? Try throwing them on the smoker before processing w/ the salt & vinegar. I usually use garlic too.

i made this one from my homegrown habaneros:
Blend about 5-6 habaneros, minus the seeds
place puree into empty beer bottle with 3-4 oz apple cider vinegar
add the juice of enough carrots to fill a beer bottle
and add 3-4 tsp brown sugar.

This one is HOT. but the heat dissapates significantly after a year in the fridge. then the flavors really melt well. when its young, use it sparingly as a marinade for sausages, when its aged a bit, dash it right on them wings.

I make hot sauce all the time by the gallons from peppers I grow. This was cut from my reply to another thread on the topic called "Can I fry chicken wings in my turkey fryer? Any one have any recipes?". Do a search to find it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I don't really follow a recipe. I just wait until I have enough ripe peppers to make it worth doing, usually enough to fill at least 2 big pots. I cut the peppers up (seeds and all) in fairly good size chunks, just to make them easier to cook down. Oh yeah, I cook them down. Some people make sauces that are "fresh" but to me that takes more time and is more like salsa.
So once in the pot I add some vinegar so they don't stick or burn and also for added liquid as peppers don’t have much. I also add some salt at this time. After about a half hour to an hour they have turned to a mush and I add more vinegar as needed to keep it liquid.
At this point I take a hand held blender and puree all the peppers. I then strain the liquid into another pot using a basket strainer and a ladle. I ladle in a few scoops and use the ladle to work out and separate the pulp and seeds through the strainer. This done right takes about 30 seconds each small batch with little pulp to throw away. Make sure you use a fine but large WIRE strainer.
Once all the pulp is removed and everything is back into pots I add more vinegar and salt to taste and bring back to a boil and then cook for another 15 minutes or so on medium heat stirring so it won't stick or boil over.
At this point I do one of two things depending on how patient I am. I either can it right then and there while it is still hot or I let it cool and sit overnight for the flavors to blend more. Then the next day I boil again and then can. This aging makes a better sauce.
That is about it. I am not big on recipes, I mean it's just hot sauce and I am not selling it so no big deal if one batch is a bit different from the other. I also noticed the older the peppers the better the flavor. Last year we had so many ripe peppers I couldn't keep up with them and they got real deep red and soft and "chewy" on the plants. I used them anyway and they made the best sauce yet with the reddest color yet.
Last year I think we counted about 80 hot peppers plants of 5 types.

Fermented Pepper Sauces (Tabasco)

Ingredients:

Tabasco chile peppers
Salt
White wine vinegar
(See below for amounts of each.)

Directions:

Prepare mash. Grind peppers (any amount), seeds and all, in a medium to fine grind. Add ½ cup kosher salt per gallon of ground peppers. This ratio of mash to salt of 32:1 seems to be the best but can vary depending on the quality of your peppers. Put mash & salt mixture into a glass or crockery jar. Press the mash down and cover with saucer or other lid . Liquid will form. Add yeast of choice

Age (ferment). Allow to age at least 1 month. Longer is better … McIlhenny ages their Tabasco peppers for 3 years!

Allow fermenting until the mash stabilizes (stops fermenting). After aging is finished, place mash in a new clean and sterilized jar. Add sterilized white wine vinegar to taste and age for about another week to blend the flavors together.

"Pulling" the peppers. Run the mash through a chinoise, fine strainer, or, last resort, throw it all into a bowl lined with cheesecloth, fold the cheesecloth up into a ball and twist & squeeze until the juice is extracted. Salt to taste. Bottle the juice and keep in the refrigerator.

Or strain and blend in food processor for thicker sauce

My wife and MIL make Sambal often.

Start with the white rooster garlic chili paste and cook it down until the pan bleeds.

We are getting ready for the summer's bounty in our hemisphere....
Time to prepare !

I would love to have the recipe for Chipotle's Tomatillo Red Chili sauce. I don't care if they are fast food or what, that sauce is really good imo.

From the website:
This salsa of pureed chiles de arbol, tomatillos and fresh spices is smooth, full-bodied and a rich, rusty red. Very hot. Vegetarian.

There are lots of things that go by the name of Chili sauce, and they can be quite different. A good recipe source for Chile sauces that are common to New Mexico is "The Feast of Santa Fe" by Huntley Dent. By the way, in NM we call them Chiles.

Garlic, onions, salt, cumin, oregano, and cilantro are typical additions to chiles to make sauces. In general, the simpler the better when it comes to Chile sauce. Roasting the chile before using it in a sauce brings out its flavor.

In the fall in NM, there are chile roasters on nearly every vacant lot and in front of grocery stores. They sell 40 lb sacks of green chiles from Hatch NM, typically Big Jim or Sandia, which are a similar variety to Anaheim. They roast these chiles with a propane roaster, which is a rotating perforated metal drum over a propane flame. The roasted chiles are then dumped into a garbage bag, put in a box and taken home where they are peeled and frozen for use over the next year.

While the chiles are still hot, my wife takes one or two, puts them in a blender with some salt and garlic and blends it to a mush. This is great spread warm on fresh tortillas, french bread, crackers, chips, or on the end of your finger.

I, and other New Mexicans, make a green chile sauce that is used a bit like the French use sauces, but that is really a coarse comparison.

Sautee a chopped up medium onion in a tbsp or two of olive oil and some cumin seed. Towards the end of cooking, add some minced garlic. Add 2 tbsps of flour and stir like crazy for two minutes or so. The darker the flour gets, the darker the stew will be. Cooks will recognize this as a roux. Add a half cup of chopped roasted green chiles, salt, pepper, oregano and stir. Then add chicken broth until it is the thickness of gravy. Simmer for a half hour, adding broth so that the consistency you want is maintained. If it is too thin, simmer until it is the consistency you want. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.

This is great as a base for stews and soups, over enchiladas, in enchiladas with the addition of some meat, on burritos, over an omelette, and on eggs as huevos rancheros.

Cook a big pile of hash browns or tater tots. heap them on a plate, crumble bacon or sausage over the whole pile. Add a fried egg or two. Smother the whole thing with green chile. grate some sharp cheddar cheese on top. Great breakfast.

MMMMmmmmmmm.......Green Chile, there is nothing like it.

Garlic, onions, salt, cumin, oregano, and cilantro are typical additions to chiles to make sauces.
Is this the mexican oregano? Apparently it's different than the 'normal' oregano we get in most supermarkets. I've never tried it.

While Mexican oregano is preferred, regular oregano can be substituted without a whole lot of loss in flavor. Fresh is better than dried.

Back