difference between white wheat and pale wheat? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > difference between white wheat and pale wheat?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
zodiak3000
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 587
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts



im gonna be doing my first AG. its gonna be an ipa. ive seen some recipes online i like that use 1lb of wheat malt for the ipa's. i order from northern brewer and came across they have white and pale wheat malts. what one should i use or would be most appropriate? remember, its just a 1lb and its for an ipa, thanks..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Clonefarmer
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Springfield, MA
Posts: 1,329
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
im gonna be doing my first AG. its gonna be an ipa. ive seen some recipes online i like that use 1lb of wheat malt for the ipa's. i order from northern brewer and came across they have white and pale wheat malts. what one should i use or would be most appropriate? remember, its just a 1lb and its for an ipa, thanks..
The pale wheat is slightly darker and has a bit more of a bready flavor. For an IPA I would go with the white wheat malt.
__________________
"Just remember Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"....Philip J. Fry

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
zodiak3000
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 587
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefarmer View Post
The pale wheat is slightly darker and has a bit more of a bready flavor. For an IPA I would go with the white wheat malt.
according to northern brewer pale wheat has a 1.5 lovibond, while white has a 3 lovibond. wouldnt that mean the pale would be lighter not darker?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Clonefarmer
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Springfield, MA
Posts: 1,329
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
according to northern brewer pale wheat has a 1.5 lovibond, while white has a 3 lovibond. wouldnt that mean the pale would be lighter not darker?
According to those numbers, yes. The white wheat from my LHBS is lighter than the pale wheat though. Either the LHBS has mislabeled or Northern Brewer made a typo.
__________________
"Just remember Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"....Philip J. Fry

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
zodiak3000
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 587
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonefarmer View Post
According to those numbers, yes. The white wheat from my LHBS is lighter than the pale wheat though. Either the LHBS has mislabeled or Northern Brewer made a typo.
damn, i already ordered the pale. no harm i guess since its only 1lb. im gonna contact NB and see whats up. thanks for the advice..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Clonefarmer
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Springfield, MA
Posts: 1,329
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak3000 View Post
damn, i already ordered the pale. no harm i guess since its only 1lb. im gonna contact NB and see whats up. thanks for the advice..
They are both pretty mellow in flavor. Either one should work well in that quantity.
__________________
"Just remember Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"....Philip J. Fry

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
TravisRichard
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 8
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I've also noticed that the White Wheat is higher in Lovibond than the Pale Wheat, even though the Pale Wheat appears darker. I am not completely certain, but I believe that the difference is the variety of wheat that the malt is made of. Pale Wheat is made from a naturally darker red wheat, and the Rahr White Wheat is made, obviously, from a variety of white wheat. Lovibond measures the amount of roastedness. The White Wheat is kilned slightly more than the Pale Wheat.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 30,642
Liked 4765 Times on 3217 Posts


At that ratio you probably won't see much flavor characteristic between the two. I'm guessing the 1# is mostly for head formation/retention.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,033
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts


There's also Red Wheat which is the same Lovibond as White Wheat. Chances are you're only using 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. and you won't detect any flavor from the wheat. It's mainly there for head retention and mouthfeel in those amounts.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Summer Wheat.. I am digging the white wheat Kplum Recipes/Ingredients 2 08-18-2011 12:34 PM
flaked wheat vs. white wheat malt shoebag22 Recipes/Ingredients 5 09-28-2010 02:25 AM
White Wheat v. Wheat Malt brewer_duke All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 04-10-2010 07:44 PM
Pale v. Wheat LME...What is the Difference? pweizman Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-02-2009 07:06 PM
Bavarian Wheat VS White Wheat EamusCatuli Recipes/Ingredients 5 05-17-2008 05:00 AM


Forum Jump