Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Hydrometer Reading in Acitvely Fermenting Beer

Old 03-25-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Hydrometer Reading in Acitvely Fermenting Beer

I pulled a sample of one of my beers today that still had all the yeast in suspension, I wash shocked that my reading was so high. Hardly attenuated at all and it has been fermenting actively for 5 days.

I am wondering if yeast in suspension could possibly give me on off reading or make the wort seem more "dense" to the hydrometer...effecting the reading.

worried a little....thx

Old 03-25-2010, 10:13 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
I pulled a sample of one of my beers today that still had all the yeast in suspension, I wash shocked that my reading was so high. Hardly attenuated at all and it has been fermenting actively for 5 days.

I am wondering if yeast in suspension could possibly give me on off reading or make the wort seem more "dense" to the hydrometer...effecting the reading.

worried a little....thx
No, the yeast in suspension won't affect the reading. But...........any co2 that is produced during that fermentation certainly can. You have to knock off any co2, or shake up the sample to degas, before taking an accurate reading. I spin my hydrometer and jostle it up and down to get rid of any co2 bubbles holding up the hydrometer.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
permo
Recipes 

That makes me feel a little better. I think i will wait for yeast to floc b4 i take another reading....i am about .30 to high....hopefully cause of CO2

Old 03-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Well, the gravity reading was actually that high, taking steps to add more active yeast to this bad boy to get it on down where it needs to go.