Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is 5 days long enough for oak in fermenter?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Is 5 days long enough for oak in fermenter?

It looks like people generally recommend leaving oak chips/cubes in for a week but at the same time many say the smell/taste is over-powering. I am wondering if 5 days would be enough time for oak because that would work well with the schedule I want to use on my next batch. Thank you.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

the only advice i can give you is to taste it yourself and see. homebrewing is all about making what YOU like. keep in mind that the taste will mellow with aging.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'll be clearing out my secondary of Apfelwein this weekend and transferring my old ale along with some Bourbon soaked oak cubes. I anticipate 2 weeks in the secondary before bottling, but not sure yet. This will depend on the taste--so I will sample out of the secondary every week or so to see where its at. I've heard too that the oak flavor will fade over time. Once bottled I do plan on aging this beer for 1+ years with periodic sampling of course to see how its progressing.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

buddy just oaked an American IPA. Oak chips went in for 6 days in primary after fermentation stopped with a 1/2 oz of cascade, came out great! can't wait to try it again in a few more weeks.

Side note: cubes take longer to work than chips. Less surface area on cubes and can have a "sealed" side from when it was a barrel.

Chips work faster. 2 ounces for about a week, seems about right for me.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”