Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Aging temperature control. How important is it?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
EvilGnome6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Aging temperature control. How important is it?

How important is it to maintain temperatures during the 1-2 years of aging a lambic or sour ale? I keep my house between 68F and 78F throughout the year but I would say most of the year it is in the mid 70s. I live in Arizona and keeping the house much cooler is not an option.

I could set up a dedicated fermentation fridge but that seems like a big investment to tie up for just one batch a year.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
ryane
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I usually have the same temps as you listed, but during the summer it can get to about 85F during the day while Im gone

I dont really worry about temp, and my sours turn out fine, now I dont start any during the hottest months, so to avoid a majority of the fermentation occuring during that time though

you an ASH member?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryane View Post
I usually have the same temps as you listed, but during the summer it can get to about 85F during the day while Im gone

I dont really worry about temp, and my sours turn out fine, now I dont start any during the hottest months, so to avoid a majority of the fermentation occuring during that time though
That's a good idea on starting them during the cooler months. I may have just missed that window, though.

Hmmm... Maybe I can keep them temperature controlled for the first 3 months or so and then let them finish at ambient temps for the rest of the year. That would let me churn out about 4 sours per year with one fridge which would be ideal.

Heck, I already have 3 fridges for ales, why not one more for sours, right?

Quote:
you an ASH member?
I'm not but I have been thinking about joining.