Can I use my wifes porcelain enamel canning pot for a brew pot? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I use my wifes porcelain enamel canning pot for a brew pot?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
SNPorter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Marquette MI
Posts: 37


Just wondering if I can use my wifes porcelain enameled canning pot for a brewing pot, at least until I find a stainless pot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,702
Liked 1465 Times on 1115 Posts


sure you can, just don't chip it, or she'll be pissed.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
SNPorter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Marquette MI
Posts: 37

Well after searching I did find a thread on this. Seems ok as long as it isn't chipped. This should get me through my first batch anyways.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/porc...ew-pots-14382/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #4
SNPorter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Marquette MI
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
sure you can, just don't chip it, or she'll be pissed.
Haha, yeah and I think I'm going to do my first batch when she's gone for a couple days.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
goose1873
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Erie, PA
Posts: 675
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


nice! welcome
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,761
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPorter View Post
Haha, yeah and I think I'm going to do my first batch when she's gone for a couple days.
Good plan! Before you use it, though, check to see if there are any chips on the inside. I had one that I've always used for canning, but found out there was a small chip when I went to use it. You definitely don't want any chips in there, as you can get a "metallic" flavor from it. My chips even had a bit of rust on them, but I didn't notice it until I inspected it for brewing.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,260
Liked 7702 Times on 6287 Posts


Might want to ask your wife rather than us.

Just cause we say you can, doesn't mean you should. Kinda like using her panty hose as a hop sock.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
SNPorter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Marquette MI
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Good plan! Before you use it, though, check to see if there are any chips on the inside. I had one that I've always used for canning, but found out there was a small chip when I went to use it. You definitely don't want any chips in there, as you can get a "metallic" flavor from it. My chips even had a bit of rust on them, but I didn't notice it until I inspected it for brewing.
Yes I will inspect it well. I see you're a fellow yooper eh. What part of the UP are you from? I'm in Marquette, grew up in Bessemer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
SNPorter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Marquette MI
Posts: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Might want to ask your wife rather than us.

Just cause we say you can, doesn't mean you should. Kinda like using her panty hose as a hop sock.
Yeah I was planning on it. Just wanted to make sure it was a viable option before I bothered. Now the panty hose, that's an interesting idea lol.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,761
Liked 8028 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SNPorter View Post
Yes I will inspect it well. I see you're a fellow yooper eh. What part of the UP are you from? I'm in Marquette, grew up in Bessemer.
I'm in the southcentral area, in Iron county, on the WI border.

I was in Marquette on Saturday- nice to see open water this early!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wifes birthday gift for me Donthoseme Home Brewing Photo Forum 2 04-11-2009 06:44 PM
Enamel Pot and Caramelization chase Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 01-09-2008 04:25 PM
Porcelain Enamel Brew Pots? Capt. Awesomest Equipment/Sanitation 9 10-03-2006 11:00 PM
&%$#! Enamel pot done for? Levers101 Equipment/Sanitation 9 05-01-2006 02:56 PM


Forum Jump