Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Skunky Smell From Brew Enhancer

Old 03-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
howabouttheiris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Skunky Smell From Brew Enhancer

I have about 15 kit/kilo style batches done (and consumed) and I am starting extract kit brewing shortly. Before I convert and add many new variables, I want to understand where a particular taste may be coming from.

I have noticed that if I use the Munton's Brew Enhancer, I have a noticable skunky nose to the beer. It tastes fine, so I do not think it is off. I have noticed it come thru on all the light beers (lager clones / draft clones). If I use a 1.5kg of dextrose, the odor is not there, but the beer really lacks body and head retention.

I ferment in a 20C room in the basement, have very strict sanitization, and transfer directly to keg. (It varies but I am usually 2w primary, 1w secondary, 2w keg).

Has anyone run into this?