Dirty Laundry Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
approx 20 HCU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
60 @65
Tasting Notes
caramel flavor with good hop balance, little aftertaste.
My take on an Irish Red. Too many microbreweries around here seem to think that a red needs to be super sticky sweet. I hate them all. I don't need to chew my beer or continue tasting it on my teeth for two days! I love using small amounts of different grades of Crystal to get a full flavor that doesn't cloy at the tastebuds. Pacific Gem for the bittering hops... why? cause I've got a ton of it and the flavor is un-noticeable in the finished product. Willamette is a good UK hop for flavor. No hops on flameout cause hop smell is not right for a Red. The flavor is nice and caramelly with a smooth hop balance. No Stickiness at all! You can drink it all night, but at over 6.5% alcohol, you better not ;) This is my wifes favorite homebrew. Keeping her happy keeps me brewing! Enjoy!

15 lbs German Pilsner
2 lbs CaraRed
6 oz Crystal 40L
6 oz Crystal 80L
14 oz Crystal 120L
1 oz Chocolate
1 lb Corn

I use a slow steam infusion technique, and it takes about 45minutes to raise the grist temp from 70F to 154F. I do the last 10F very slowly so as to give plenty of lower temp mashing time. Rest at 154 for at least an hour (more than 80minutes gets into seriously diminishing returns, so that's the max). Increase temp to 175F, circulate, drain. Lauter with 185F water (it cools to mid 170's as soon as it goes in) as many times as possible. I usually get 3 or 4 rinses to maximize efficiency (85% or higher, max 91%).

Begin boil. My preboil volume is often way high so I boil down to 12 gallons and start adding hops and start the timer.

0.6 oz pacific gem 15% 60minutes
1 oz Willamette Pellets 30minutes
1 oz Willamette leaf 10minutes

Chilled to 70F in under 15minutes. Pitch proofed yeast (or reused yeast from a previous batch).

OG 1.063
FG 1.012

Back