Well I brewed my last extract batch today. I wasn't sure if this belonged in the Extract forum or All-grain forum, so I went with the future and All-grain it is. The recipe is a clone of Dogfish Head's raison. And OMG, if bad things happening during the brewing process is indicacative of good tasting brew, it's going to be a good one.
I picked up a 1/2 bbl keg Saturday morning and promptly cut the top and converted it to a keggle. One word: awesome.
Anyways, my home made IC didn't have hose clamps to securely attach it to the garden hose and fell off about 4 times; the whirlpool I tried to create didn't really do anything (I'll try harder next time), I burned my leg pretty good while moving the keggle after a 75 minute boil, and I forgot to add the 'flame off' hops until about 10 minutes later.
Good things: great keggle!!, really good yeast activity in a 2-day starter, new auto-siphon worked like a champ, SG was exactly where it should be (and tasted good), and the anticipation of all-grain was a good motivator. About 6 weeks from now I should be able to tell how all of these variable's combined to create beer.