Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > My Cider is too dry
Old 11-28-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 327 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ah yes, but my recipe calls for Montrachet wine yeast. My Apfelwein is dry, crisp & refreshing. It's an acquired taste to some and requires about 2-3 glasses.

I tried Splenda on my first batch, but stuck with the original recipe. It gets better as it ages. My latest keg is 7 weeks old and is the best tasting so far.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine turned out a scant dry as well, but I was considering bumping up the apply nature and adding some body by mixing in a little apple concentrate after stablizing the cider.

I've got a gallon going on, so in theory, how much should I use to improve the flavor without doing too much damage?

I never met a homebrew I didn't like.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hermish
I have a cider that is too dry also, and I have already added about 8 oz of lactose. It has been sitting in a keg in the fridge at about 40 degrees for about 3 weeks, and I was wondering if the yeast is dead by now, and if I can just add regular sugar now to sweeten it. So does anyone have an idea if the yeast would die after that amount of time. I was very surprised how dry my cider turned out, I used Ed's recipe, but used an Ale yeast with it.
Chilling your brew won't kill the yeast (scroll up), it will just slow it down (dormant, not dead). See post #8, this thread, about adding campden and sorbate to kill the yeast.
the Nurse wants to know

Date Mead, Oatmeal Cookie Braggot, Fox in Sox Gruit
Hard lemonade, Cyser, Golden Plum Mead
Ginger-Orange Mead,
Agave Mead, Chocolate/Cinnamon Mead, Heather mead,
Heather Ale, Emerald Honey Kolsch, Hobgoblin clone, Terror of the Ewes Oatmeal Stout,
Kilt liftin' Wee Heavy, Soggy Doggy English Brown Ale, Saaz/Perle Mead, Cinnamon Mead, Shiraz,
Sauvignon Blanc, white merlot, Elderberry Mead, Vanilla Mead
Old 12-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #14

I am having the same problem. I followed a recipe from cornell and they said add 1lb of sugar for every gallon of yeast and one packet of champagne yeast. So i did that about 6 weeks ago. Fermentation was complete in two weeks. Then about four weeks ago I added a pound of raisins, on the advice of my local brew supply store. But it didn't really help, fermentation is done again (sg same for 5 days in a row). This is like drinking vodka straight, that is what it tastes like to me. I would really like to create a sweet hard sparkling cider, is there any chance I can save this? Or should I just give this one over to the compost pile?