Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Summer Time

Old 03-21-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
BigErn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Summer Time

Im sure this should be put into the recipie category but Im still new to brewing so hopefully if I put it here the awnser will automaticaly be dumbed down for me :-P.

I want to surprise my girlfriend with a clone of her favorite beer. Which is Leinenkugel's Summer Shanty. Its weiss beer with Lemonade but I have no clue as how to make it. Is the lemonade added after the normal beer is made? Is it somehow added to the Secondary or in the bottles?

Can anyone point me in the right direction to a recipe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
BigErn
Recipes 

I guess question two would be what exactly is a weiss beer. Isnt that just a wheat beer?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
JiveTurkey
Recipes 

Location: Corvallis (Heart of the [Willamette] Valley), Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErn View Post
I guess question two would be what exactly is a weiss beer. Isnt that just a wheat beer?
It's a German wheat: http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category15.php#style15A
Aging for 1 Year: #1 LHBS Standard (Dry) Stout
In bottles: #2 Honing Wit (Belgian Wit Bier w/honey); #3 Be Hoppy, Not Bitter ("Oregon" Pale Ale: APA using Oregon-inspired ingredients and lots of late-addition/dry-hops); #4 American Red-Head (Irish Red made from American ingredients); #5 Student Power Orange Ale (Orange-hued amber ale for a wedding)
Primary: [n/a]
On deck: [Thinking about it]

Old 03-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 213

I usually have my Hefe on tap in the summer months, pretty simple recipe and quite quaffable, to make it a shandy I just add a shot or so of Simply lemonade to the glass and pour the Hefe onto it to mix. good for sitting around the pool on a hot day!

Old 03-21-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
BigErn
Recipes 

Im looking to get everything into the bottle. Ive done the shot of lemonade into the glass before I drank it trick. What im looking for is the ability to get that lemonade flavor into the beer itself.

I have a couple options that Ive been thinking about. One would be to make the beer and then throw some lemonade concentrate into secondary or put some cut up lemons in there as well. Would the sugar in the concentrate start up fermentation again. If so would that take away from the overall lemon flavor. Then other option was to actually put the concentrate or lemon juice into the bottle before I fill them. But again how would that effect carbonation. What would lemon juice do to the Yeast?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you add lemonade concentrate it would more than likely ferment and cause issues. You would have to kill all of the yeast before adding it for flavoring. I have read other posts about Leinies Summer Shandy and they all say to add Kool Aid Lemonade or Countrytime Lemonade to the secondary. I have not tried it so I am not certain on the amount necessary to give the perfect lemon flavor without being too strong so you might have to experiment.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #7
BigErn
Recipes 

I may have to try that... But doesnt both of those contain sugar? Perhaps If I use those as my Priming sugar? Or would that be a horrible idea not knowing the exact sugar content in them.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 AM   #8
BigErn
Recipes 

Ok so heres my idea... I found something similar to what Im trying to make by FSR402.

6# Wheat DME (60/40 of wheat and pils)
1 oz. Cascade hops at 4.5% for 60 minuts of boil
at 15 minutes left of the boil add the zest (the outer part of the peals) of 4 large orange and lemons

1 packet of Nottingham dry yeast.

But to bring out the lemonade flavor I will be adding 1 cup of countrytime lemonade mix to the secondary.

Does that sound good?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brew all grain so I don't really know what it would take doing it another method. If you are making a 5 gallon batch, 1 cup is probably about right for some lemon flavor. You might want to rack to a few secondary vessels (if you have some) and experiment using various amounts of lemon flavoring. That way you won't ruin a whole batch if it doesn't turn out right!

You will have to let us know how it turns out!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
BigErn
Recipes 

Im hopeing that this turns out like this... http://www.ithacabeer.com/beers.php#6

So I may split it up and leave half without the countrytime.