So I brewed with 100% Lake Superior water..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
and the beer turned out great. I made a Cream of 3 Crops AG, and the beer was incredibly smooth and refreshing.

No additives or anything. For those who don't know or live down south, Lake Superior is super clear and cold, I think the clarity is around 40+ or so.

Anyways, it was fun to do something a little different.

Hmm... I'd have to travel a bit North (Lake Huron) or a bit South (Lake Erie) to give this a try. Somehow I don't think the water from the nearby Detroit River would yield quite the same result. Detroit River Heavy Metal Ale anyone? :p

Seriously though. Very cool. :mug:

I recently brewed a stout with some spring water my dad brought out for me from the Mississippi river valley in Illinois. It had lots of floaties in it but I gave it a try anyway. It turned out great. I wish I had access to a natural spring out here in Santa Fe. There is a natural spring up near Arapahoe Basin in Colorado I plan on brewing with in the near future as well.

Only Great Lake I see Much is Lake Eire....Not sure if I should get some of it because I know what Buffalo does to it....the stuff coming off the falls looks great though

oh down here in bama I'd have to go with a nice spring cause Lake Guntersville is wow not clear at all

and the beer turned out great. I made a Cream of 3 Crops AG, and the beer was incredibly smooth and refreshing.

No additives or anything. For those who don't know or live down south, Lake Superior is super clear and cold, I think the clarity is around 40+ or so.

Anyways, it was fun to do something a little different.

I suppose you went a little bit up the shore from Duluth though, right? Did you boil it first? I took a big swig of water from the shore north of Two Harbors and it tasted great....

Btw.....

Here is the backstory. A good friend of mine was a BMC, "I don't like that type of beer" guy. He has a cabin off of Superior and is really tied to the place since it goes way back in his family. So, we made a beer for him out of that water and he loved it, bringing to his family reunion. He is now a regular moocher off of my taps. Another convert!!!

I recently brewed a stout with some spring water my dad brought out for me from the Mississippi river valley in Illinois. It had lots of floaties in it but I gave it a try anyway. It turned out great. I wish I had access to a natural spring out here in Santa Fe. There is a natural spring up near Arapahoe Basin in Colorado I plan on brewing with in the near future as well.

:off: there is a really good one on the way up to creede/lake city on highway 160

ur lucky i gotta deal with lake ontario water i may try lake huron if i can get sum from my aunts place for a brew

The zebra mussels have cleaned up lake Ontario pretty good.
Also if you are in Kingston you are already brewing with lake Ontario water ;).
I took a tour of the Kingston water plant and they mentioned that they need to do very little to the water most times of the year. I have lived near the lake most of my live and the way most PPL in this area treat the lake you would think that it was toxic waste.... It is a bit of a shame. If you stay away from the duck infested bays (the ducks are the reason why the beaches get closed in the summer) and boil the water before using it it would be fine.

Hmm... I'd have to travel a bit North (Lake Huron) or a bit South (Lake Erie) to give this a try. Somehow I don't think the water from the nearby Detroit River would yield quite the same result. Detroit River Heavy Metal Ale anyone? :p

Seriously though. Very cool. :mug:

You could also make a Jimmy Hoffa lager.

I have some friends that bought some land in Iowa that has a spring flowing through it. I'd love to make a mead from the water and wild blackberries growing there, but there's a farm upstream and I'm afraid of any chemical run off.

Back