Does force carbing = lower ABV than using priming sugar? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does force carbing = lower ABV than using priming sugar?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
KCBrewer
Fat Brad
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
KCBrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Independence, MO
Posts: 11,560
Liked 1770 Times on 1667 Posts



If you are adding sugar to create more fermentation in order to produce co2 for bottling, then aren't you also creating more alcohol? So if you force carb in a keg rather than prime, is it a lower ABV? Or is the priming sugar not a significant enough of an amount to make a difference?


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I want to see FatBrad's d***.

 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:25 AM   #2
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,478
Liked 102 Times on 65 Posts


yes, yes, and yes


__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #3

yes, technically any yeast fermentation of sugar will result in alcohol production, so bottle conditioned beers have additional alcohol. But practically, the amount added is probably less than 0.1%

EDIT: this got me thinking...if I use 4oz of sucrose to bottle 5 gallons of beer, this will add approximately 2 gravity points [sucrose = 46 points per pound per gallon]. Assuming the yeast completely ferment the added sugar, those 2 gravity points would result in an increase of approximately 0.25% alcohol. So you could assume your bottled beer has a quarter of a percent more alcohol than your force-carbed beer.
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar


 
Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
Dave11980
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Wentzille
Posts: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
if I use 4oz of sucrose to bottle 5 gallons of beer, this will add approximately 2 gravity points [sucrose = 46 points per pound per gallon]. Assuming the yeast completely ferment the added sugar, those 2 gravity points would result in an increase of approximately 0.25% alcohol.

so the practical answer is not really.

 
Old 03-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
NorCalAngler
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Roseville, CA
Posts: 699
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


I would say 0.25% is a decent amount, especially since most people don't contemplate it in their ABV.
__________________
Drink what you like and share when you can. Support your local breweries.

 
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
uechikid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
uechikid's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Antioch Ca.
Posts: 626
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Insignificant.
__________________
"Carpe Diem"

 
Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Gridlocked
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
MN
Posts: 793
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


Not to hijack your thread, but along these lines, does force carbing result in a longer or shorter (or doesn't it make a difference) conditioning time?

 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Hang Glider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
North Augusta, SC
Posts: 3,200
Liked 193 Times on 147 Posts


When I bottle, I expect 3 weeks for carbonation. When I keg, I expect 3 weeks for carbonation - now it doesn't really take that long - at one week, it's carbonated (set it and forget it). There are those that set the pressure high and shake hell out of it - and get there in 30 minutes...
but If I set it and forget it, the bubbles, the blending, the aging, it's all very good at the 3-week point.

So, as long as you have something else to drink....

 
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,525
Liked 7377 Times on 5215 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlocked View Post
Not to hijack your thread, but along these lines, does force carbing result in a longer or shorter (or doesn't it make a difference) conditioning time?
It doesn't change the time needed for conditioning. Green beer is green beer. With kegging, though, you could have carbonated green beer quickly.

I guess that in one respect, kegged beer could take even longer than bottle conditioned beer to be ready. Usually, I keg my beer and stick it in the kegerator. It takes a beer much longer to condition at cold temperatures, and beer ages faster at room temperature. So, in that respect, if you keg green beer and put it in the kegerator it can be green a long time.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

thefost Likes This 
Old 03-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Runyanka
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
Providence Village, Texas
Posts: 1,532
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
It doesn't change the time needed for conditioning. Green beer is green beer. With kegging, though, you could have carbonated green beer quickly.

I guess that in one respect, kegged beer could take even longer than bottle conditioned beer to be ready. Usually, I keg my beer and stick it in the kegerator. It takes a beer much longer to condition at cold temperatures, and beer ages faster at room temperature. So, in that respect, if you keg green beer and put it in the kegerator it can be green a long time.
This is why I have resorted to what Biermuncher has said he does before. I will keg my beer, hit it with enough CO2 to seal the keg, sit it in the closet until I am ready to carb up and serve. That way, the beer stays fresher with the CO2 onto, and it conditions faster at room temperatures.


__________________
Diverse Haus Brewery

 
Closed Thread
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
force carbonation vs priming a keg with corn sugar killian Bottling/Kegging 14 03-19-2013 07:29 PM
Priming sugar VS Force carb JKHomebrew Bottling/Kegging 21 06-29-2012 07:53 PM
Priming and force carbing? Madcap Bottling/Kegging 3 04-04-2009 01:40 PM
Carbing Keg with priming sugar? wjjohnson Bottling/Kegging 6 12-26-2008 02:04 PM
Force Carbing vs. Priming Meatball Bottling/Kegging 15 01-07-2008 11:03 PM


Forum Jump